• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Swim Platforn Renewal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

papafu

Swim Platforn Renewal

Post by papafu »

We purchased a 1981, 36 Classic this summer and have been busy redoing most of the teak inside and out. Today I got back the swim platform that was an original on the vessel. It had been damaged a number of times and it needed serious work...or it needed replacement. I had an outfit called Butler Marine in Duryea, PA (they have an online presence) do the renewal and it came out great. I should be able to get another season or two out of it. They also made a swim platform pattern that will be used for my Albin and other 36's as its needed. My next move is to have them make a new teak platform for the boat. I would highly recommend them for bow pulpits, platforms and swim ladders.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Swim Platforn Renewal

Post by jleonard »

I hope the new one will be longer (from transom back) that the original. Ours and every other older trawler platform I've seen is too narrow to stand on comfortably.
I extended mine by 7 inches and it seems just about right now.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:...I extended mine by 7 inches and it seems just about right now.
I bet it does ! :shock:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Can you give a description of what was involved? I agree that the platform design was too skimpy for easy use. (LOL Rob)
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

If you are asking me, I bought a platform from a Mainship and took all the slats apart. Then I added them one by one until i got the 7 inches i wanted.
It was not a ba d project,just took time and several large clamps and liquid nails.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike66 »

Does extending the platform involve the metal brackets or are they sufficient as is? How are the new pieces supported underneath?
Thanks
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I bought some stainless "angle iron" from McMaster. I think it was 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 cut them the length of the new platform and bolted them to the existing brackets. The bolts got thru the platform, the angle iron and the original brackets.
Unfortunately I do not have a pic that shows this.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote:
jleonard wrote:...I extended mine by 7 inches and it seems just about right now.
:lol: :lol:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike66 »

Thanks, that's a clever and easy way to do it.....no welding or fabrication. Looks like it's on the list for this spring, along with deck caulking, seacock replacement, rudder packing, full hose replacement for engine............... Wonder why the transom wasn't designed vertically? Oh, one more question, did you use carriage-type bolts or recess machine screws/hex heads with teak plugs over them?
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

jcollins wrote:
RobS wrote:
:lol: :lol:
Ummm...... My 2013 resolution is to keep my mind out of the gutter.... :roll: :lol:

Now how about that ocean front property in Arizona?
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

mike66 wrote:Thanks, that's a clever and easy way to do it.....no welding or fabrication. Looks like it's on the list for this spring, along with deck caulking, seacock replacement, rudder packing, full hose replacement for engine............... Wonder why the transom wasn't designed vertically? Oh, one more question, did you use carriage-type bolts or recess machine screws/hex heads with teak plugs over them?
I used regular hex head bolts with a washer under the head.
Mike you are welcome to take a drive to Portland, Ct in the spring to take a look.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike66 »

Thanks. Hope to meet up somewhere, sometime. We don't go north until mid-May this year and then a mad dash to get in the water. I may get a pre-made extension and add it on to the back of my platform with your angle iron method. I think I'll coutersink the bolt heads and plug them, and re-mount the swimm ladder further aft onto the new piece. Hopefully it will all come together in a day so I can get back to re-caulking and sealing the deck!
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI

Return to “Albin Maintenance”