• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heartbroken in Staten Island

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Re: Heartbroken in Staten Island

Post by efishnsea »

The ins co. sent their people to pick up Alimarie they tell me the check was sent out today. My marina is in federal parkland. The people who rent the concesssion from the feds are willing to reinvest in rebuilding the facility. The feds wont offer more than a one year lease. I figure it will cost at least 25 million to rebuild 350 slips with utilities and all that. Shows you the rocket scientists we have running things down there in Washington. How do they expect someone to invest in something without a reasonable expectation of recouping their money. Looks like no marina or all the economy that come with it.
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I hope this doesn't seem insensitive, but I think I found Alimarie...
yachtsalvage.jpg
Seems this is where most hurricane boats end up.

I'm sorry for your loss, Bob. "Heartbroken..." says it all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by efishnsea »

Well, I got my check in the mail saturday. I am looking around for another boat but will move slowly. The dock situation is gonna be tough next season. Booked a trip to alaska in the spring fishing at a fly in camp. That will keep my head entertained. Christmas is coming fast, I want to wish everyone a blessed holiday season. Bob
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by efishnsea »

Hello All Just wanted to say hello and give an update. I have puchased another boat and took a temporary departure from Albin. The new ride is a Stamas Tarpon 290 center console. Just a little different? Shes a nice boat with a Yanmar Inboard. It will be a little faster ride to the fishing grounds. Another Albin is in the future for me after a couple seasons. On another note we had a battle with the National Park Service to allow the restoration of the marina. They contended since the docks all floated away that the marina operator would not be able to be given a new lease. They said no way this marina would come back. We circled the wagons and formed a comittee, got a lot of petitions together, got some media attention TV and newspapers. Then the politicians came on board. Then Senator Schumer and Congressman Grimm got a meeting with the head of the NPS Jarvis and explained what our little marina (350 slips) meant to the local economy of a community hit so hard by Sandy. And they agreed it was a mistake to try and close the marina. The building blocks are in place now and docks have been ordered. It remains to be seen what sort of season is in store for us and how quickly everything can be built. The whole region will be different with all the changes in the channels and the debis in the water. There are probably an awful lot of boats on the bottom that were lost. Finally a note to everyone on the site. Thank you for your thoughts you are a fine group of fellow mariners. Also thanks to our fearless leader John and the nice package I received. I will be lurking on the site and if anybody is in the Staten Island Area this season please PM me. Thanks Bob
Tahoma
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Great Loop

Post by Tahoma »

I sorry to hear of your loss and that of other boaters in Great Kills. We were there on our first leg of our Great Loop adventure had a memorable time. We are struck at the pictures of Great Kills today. I join with others that you and your family survived Sandy. Jim

Return to “General Discussion”