• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Still Sailing

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
undine
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Belfast ME

Still Sailing

Post by undine »

I have been living and sailing in Maine for 25 years and have just relocated to Florida. I am new to the forum, signing on because I am considering a small Albin as a seasonal live-aboard boat. The idea of doing the Great Loop also has appeal, especially without the complications of a 54' mast. Any suggestions from your experiences would be appreciated.
Neil
Undine Catalina 36
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: Still Sailing

Post by kathylsails »

Hi! My first boat was a little Catalina 27 that I treasured! We love our Albin 30 FC, but even with the aft cabin, it would be pretty small to live aboard compared to the C36. One of the Albin 34 trawlers might be a good boat for you. A friend of ours had one and it was roomy and comfy. I can't remember what year his was but we saw other models of similar vintage (1980s) that we liked a lot better than his because getting food and drink from the galley to the aft deck or bridge, even at anchor, was always dicey since you had to hang on to the grab bar on the salon roof for dear life in a chop--there were no stanchions or rails or lifelines and the space was narrow and it would have been way too easy to fall overboard. Other models from that era were more "user friendly"!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Still Sailing

Post by whwells »

Welcome to the Group. Your future adventure sounds like and exciditng one. However, liiving aboard a 25-27 Albin Classic may be tighter than you want. I do have friend's from Seattle, Wa. who are doing the loop 4-6 weeks per year in a 27' and love the experienve. This couple built & sailed thier own vessel to Hawai and back and then to Alaska. They are used to tight places. They can be found on this site and would it seem to be a great starting point.
Will see if I can get them to respond to your inqury. Personally a 32 modern Albin might do you well for such a long trip.
whwells "Howard"

Return to “New Member Introductions”