• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

May buy Albin 28 TE

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
ismaris
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Marblehead, Ohio

May buy Albin 28 TE

Post by ismaris »

Hi folks,

I'm considering an Albin 28' TE, w/Volvo power. I will fish mainly in Lake Michigan for Salmon. Is this boat a good platform for downriggers? Any special considerations?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: May buy Albin 28 TE

Post by DougSea »

Hi and welcome!

The 28 is considered an excellent fishing platform and there were recent discussions on how to mount down-riggers, complete with photos. You can use the search function to find them. The only consideration I've seen from the fishing crowd is trolling speed (slow speed), which they have a variety of methods for.

What vintage boat, and what power?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
ismaris
Swabby
Swabby

Post by ismaris »

Looking for a rig less than 10 yrs old, 300 hp. My current boat has 260 hp and flies. It's 24' and obviously much lighter. Also considering FD vs engine box. There appear to be loads of these boats on the market, and they hold value well. I'm also considering a Fortier 26 but they are not nearly as available and don't have near the overnight comfort. Thanks for your welcome and quick reply.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I wouldn't worry so much about the "10 year" cut-off. There are plenty of mint condition well cared for older boats (like my 2000 :D ) and there are plenty of neglected late model boats. Every boat needs to be judged on it's own merits. Check out the gunnel height on the FD if you are tall and plan to fish a lot, I have heard that they can be uncomfortably low..

Here's an example of a fine boat that is outside of that 10 year window and isn't this one right in your neck of the woods?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5592
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
ismaris
Swabby
Swabby

Post by ismaris »

RobS - Thanks for the observation re "well cared for" older boats vs neglected recent models. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to judging the condition of boats. Will definitely pay for a quality survey when I get to that point. And being 6' tall, I would appreciate the extra gunnel ht.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

"Quality Survey" There's a topic of it's own...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

voyages
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St-Charles RIchelieu, Qc

Post by voyages »

Hello there, I have an Albin 28 (2002) that I use for fishing on Lake Ontario. Great boat, very stable and fishes great with ot's of room for up to 4 fisherman
I will send you a picture on your private email, I don't know how to transfer it here.
Denis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

ismaris wrote:Hi folks,

I'm considering an Albin 28' TE, w/Volvo power. I will fish mainly in Lake Michigan for Salmon. Is this boat a good platform for downriggers? Any special considerations?
I am more a cruiser than fishermen, but I am fortunate to have a few friends that are serious about fishing. They all love the Albin for fishing. Drift, live-line (not a fan with this boat), trolling, and at anchor. The only complaint is the trolling speed. We solved that with a home-made canvas drift bag. Slows me down to 2-3 knots.

Welcome to Albin Owners Group.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote: Drift, live-line (not a fan with this boat)
John, What's the issue with live-lining :?:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

I am like John, more of a cruiser than fisherman. Our 28 has a Cummins engine with a trolling valve and it does troll slowly. Ours is an example of a well cared for older Albin (1998). She had only 225 hours when we bought her two years ago. We just passed 500 hours. Even with low hours, the boat was regularly maintained by the previous, original, owner. These are great boats.

I hope you find the perfect Albin and welcome to AOG!
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote:
jcollins wrote: Drift, live-line (not a fan with this boat)
John, What's the issue with live-lining :?:
I guess I should have qualified that comment. I enjoy live lining myself. The last time I was out on Afterglow my fishing buddies wanted to "hang" around the pilings at the Bay Bridge with a swift current and 2' chop. It was work for the captain. I like to just throw out the anchor and relax.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome 28' Prospective Owner. You will be happy with that choice. Have had the pleasure of fishing the Albin and all make a great platform.
Stable, dependable, and fun to operate.

My Nibbles has Cannon downriggers on both sides as well as Walker's which were used by original owner in the Georgian Bay, Canada area. As long as you use the elec. series all will work well on the boat. Having had hand cranks in the past - that is a not so fun way to go.

Were I buying new now would consider Scotty's. If you are doing fresh water the Walker's are great. Would make you a deal on my two. They have been stored and used only for fresh water. I sent them back to factory last summer for servicing as well. If interested send me a note onteh private comunication.
Whwells 'Howard"

Return to “New Member Introductions”