• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Refinish table?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Refinish table?

Post by meridian »

I want to refinish the top of my table but I don't know what the original finish is. When you place any cup or glass with any liquid, hot or cold, on it a white shadow ring will appear under the finish but will disappear after a short time. Is the top just a veneer? How would I prep it? What to finish it with?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
-------------------------------
Terry
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Re: Refinish table?

Post by rcornejo »

I am also going to refinish my table on my 1997 28 TE. I believe it is finished with the same stuff.

Thanks,
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Most boats are finished on the interior with satin finish varnish although tables are sometimes finished in high gloss. If you have not varnished before you should read something on-line about the technique or you can have a disaster. It is not that difficult, you just have to know the proper technique. If the finish is in reasonable shape you can lightly sand it, wipe with a tack cloth and apply a new coat. Before the second and third coats I used a green Scotchgard to rough it up instead of sandpaper which removes too much. Make sure there is no dust around or the finish will be ruined.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I met on my boat with a guy who refinishes and rebuilds woodwork on boats. Real craftsman. I want to do the table as well as the salon sole. I expect to hear his proposal shortly.

He described a refinish strategy that involves a base layer of epoxy with two or three coats of varnish on top of that. He said that varnish sets up beautifully on the epoxy base, and if there is an "accident" it makes it easier to repair. I'll keep you posted.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Refinish table?

Post by bccanucker »

Last year I did both exterior doors and my bow sprit using this epoxy before varnish method. (Explained in my blog http://www.blueheron-albin.blogspot.com/ ) and it worked beutifully. It is the only part of the exterior teak I am not going to have to recoat next year.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
DestinSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Destin, FL

Post by DestinSteve »

We refinished our table on our 35TE with 2 coats of 2 part epoxy and 2 coats of varnish. The epoxy really gives it a deep look without the coats needed with only varnish. So far very happy with it and it has been durable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
meridian
First Mate
First Mate

Post by meridian »

What epoxy did you use? Shure looks good.
Terry
DestinSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Destin, FL

Post by DestinSteve »

Thanks, The downside to refinishing the table is it makes all the other interior wood look like it needs refinishing. We used MAS epoxy. They have a video guide for refinishing with epoxy to over coat with varnish on their web site. masepoxies.com
meridian
First Mate
First Mate

Post by meridian »

I ended up using a stripper and some sandpaper. Yes, the veneer is very thin and I went through it in some places. I am pleased with the final finish, 10 coats of varnish.
table-1.JPG
Terry
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Looks great Terry! Now I need to do mine....
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin

Return to “Albin Maintenance”