• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heartbroken in Staten Island

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Heartbroken in Staten Island

Post by efishnsea »

Alimarie was lifted off her stands during the storm. She traveled across Great Kills harbor with other boats. I found her underwater next to a bulkhead in a private marina. I am in the process of dealing with the insurance company. Just wanted to tell my tale of woe. If anybody can give good advice how to handle this situation It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bob
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Heartbroken in Staten Island

Post by jcollins »

efishnsea wrote:Alimarie was lifted off her stands during the storm. She traveled across Great Kills harbor with other boats. I found her underwater next to a bulkhead in a private marina. I am in the process of dealing with the insurance company. Just wanted to tell my tale of woe. If anybody can give good advice how to handle this situation It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bob
Bob,
I was afraid that our members in the North East would be affected. Our little problems of high tides are nothing compared to what you must be going through.

So sad to hear...chin up! Captain and crew are o.k. That's the best news. My advice is to gather receipts and document everthing. :(
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Bob,

So sorry to hear that! We do all we can and yet sometimes Mother Nature beats us anyway. Best of luck in your recovery!

He's probably pretty busy but a quick PM to RobS might help with your insurance questions.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Sorry Bob we were hit hard in NJ but personally were spared, was worried about a similar story. I am so sorry for the loss, as I hope you are ok relative to home etc.
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
HIGHSEASCT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairfield,CT

Post by HIGHSEASCT »

Bob sorry to hear the
bad news,glad you guys are O.K. Life first...everything else can be replaced. Just an F.Y.I. my 2005 28TE Flushdeck is up for sale...
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Bob, the news from Staten Island is just awful. I'm very sorry to hear about your boat....but glad it's just a boat. And I hope nothing else in your life was so seriously affected.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Bob: I join all the others in wishing you well and success in dealing with the insurance people. I suspect all will work out fine in time. Best news is you do have insurance. Have watched the Long Island damages, but did not realize from way out west out badly Staten Island faired. We wish you and yours well.
whwells "Howard"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Bob, I am sending a PM with my cell. Text or call. If you have a copy of your policy email it to me. As Doug said I am quite overloaded but there is always time for an AOG friend.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

So sorry for you loss Bob our thoughts and prayers are will you all in the NE..... Rob you are one of the reasons this group is what it is...
Kevin G
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote: ...but there is always time for an AOG friend.
You're the man Rob! :-)

Hope you guys made out okay. I had a call from Kat about an hour ago and we finally got our power back. It was a mess!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

So sorry to hear about your loss. You have so many wonderful memories of Alimarie; nothing can take those from you.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

So sorry to hear about your boat. If there is anything you need, maybe we can get together a "work party" on the website to help you out. Once we dig out and make repairs here, Im sure people would be happy to help.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Bob
What a shame! Sometimes, no matter what you do, Mother Nature is going to have her way.
You're OK, and insured. Just a mess to contend with.
Cape Cod was hit, but a glancing blow. We're very lucky compared to you folks just south of us.
The pictures and stories on the news are overwhelming.

We all wish you the best.
Bob & Mary Ann
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I feel your pain. A cat 3 hurricane got me some years ago & put one of my boats on the rocks. It broke a 1 1/4" nylon mooring bridle. Snapped it.

Whatever the estimate, if they think the boat is salvageable, add another 50% to the estimate. My imediate thoughts are that the boat is most likely a write off. Damage banging around before sinking & water damage to everything would mean a complete strip down to bare hull & start again. If the hull is good it might,just might, make a good project for the guy who gets it for nothing & has the love, time, money & skills to bring it back but if I were you I'd be digging around looking for another boat now.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

I met with the surveyor and he confirmed what I knew already. Total Loss. Another guy from my marina went down close to me. He has two yanmar 315 engines in his boat. He spoke with his mechanic from Mack Boring who told him the engines would cost 20K each to restore so not to bother. They still have to recover my boat for the insurance company. So now just waiting on a check. This area is devastated as far as dock space goes so next season is questionable for people who,s boat sustained little damage. Fuel docks are out of commision. The word is most places wont come back. I suspect a lot of places were under insured. The way the economy has been most places were just hanging on with some empty slips. I,me looking at some boats but not sure if I should bother right now or take some time off. I guess I,ll figure it out over the winter. Bob
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3

Return to “General Discussion”