• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How loud is it?

halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

How loud is it?

Post by halfmoon »

Have now been on 28s with Volvo 230, Peninsular and Yanmar 300. Unfortunately, I did not take my decibel meter with me. But, the Yanmar and Volvo engines were well tolerated by my wife. (I believe on this website a wife is referred to as "the admiral.") Some have commented that the Cummins 370 is the loudest of engine options. Has this been a factor in anyones decision to buy or not to buy an Albin 28? I like the Cummins parts and mechanic availability.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: How loud is it?

Post by Pitou »

Measuring and comparing db's at varying rpm's/speed levels is the only way to know. I've been on boats with quiet Yanmars & very noisy Yanmars. Both with identical engines, but different sound insulation packages. It's tough to get an apples to apples all being equal test.

I can say my Cummins seems pretty quiet / relatively speaking and no one has commented otherwise in 9 seasons, but when running if the engine box is opened doing some diagnostic or trouble shooting ... watch out. I'm sure all engines are like this. When underway and things are buttoned up conversations are normal and uninhibited. My decks, hatches, engine box cover and bulkheads are all insulated with 2 inches of soundproofing. Close the Alaskan bulhead and place or take a phone call and the person on the other end thinks that I'm in my office. No trouble hear with a Cummins 370. :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

Post by halfmoon »

Thanks for the perspective. Broker has two 28s with the Cummins 370. One in the water, one that is two years older on the hard. He has offered to crank up the floating 28 so I can hear the engine. Your point about varying sound insulation is important. Older boat is much less expensive...much more attractive. Will observe the insulation thickness on both.
Thanks
Alex
Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Post by Robb »

Have the 96 with Alaskan bulkhead and 370 Cummins and in my opinion it is very loud. Hard to talk, ears ringing at the end of a long run loud. I've thought about buying a decibel meter and posting readings to compare with others boats. Now engine is a 12 valve all mechanical engine that is louder than the newer electronics and the insulation on the 96 is very skimpy. Love my boat, but it is too loud as she is.

Interesting that on the 02 Pitou notes that he can take a cell call like he is at the office. I cannot even talk on the phone when running at 2000 rpm. Kevin, can you post or pm me some photos of your underdeck soundproofing? I'm hauling the boat soon to install a reman engine and might like to install some soundproofing while it is out.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

My 97 model is also loud in the pilot house. Out in the cockpit and down below is fine but the area below the helm seat has no insulation and below the hatch cover the bilge is open to the engine room. Did Albin add a bulkhead forward of the engine compartment in newer models? If so Alex can look for that in the boat on the hard.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Russell wrote:My 97 model is also loud in the pilot house. Out in the cockpit and down below is fine but the area below the helm seat has no insulation and below the hatch cover the bilge is open to the engine room. Did Albin add a bulkhead forward of the engine compartment in newer models? If so Alex can look for that in the boat on the hard.
Here is a shot showing insulation under the helm, including the center bilge hatch.

And, yes, a bulkhead forward of the tranny was added in newer models. However, it is thin plywood with no insulation. I don't think it does much for sound. I don't really see what it's purpose is other than keeping the shaft coupler away from potential storage items in the center bilge under the helm..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

That's the money shot Rob! The mid-ship bulkhead is insulated on the engine side as well and runs from outer starboard and port to their respective stringers only because the gear from the 370 pokes just forward of it to the stem. This mid-ship bulkhead is directly under the Alaskan Bulkead and creates a pretty quiet sound barrier in the pilot house. 3 hatches have it ... center hatch in the pilot house and port & starboard of the engine and of coarse the inside of the engine box. I'll get a measure on thickness tomorrow.

While running at 2400 rpm 18 knot cruise yesterday a buddies phone rang with a business call and he wanted me to pull it back so that he could take the call. instead I closed the bulkhead door, he took the call, we continued to run at 2400 and no one was the wiser that we were both screwing the pooch and taking a last day on the water before haulout this coming Sunday. :D
Last edited by Pitou on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Robb wrote:Interesting that on the '02 Pitou notes that he can take a cell call like he is at the office. I cannot even talk on the phone when running at 2000 rpm. Kevin, can you post or pm me some photos of your underdeck soundproofing? I'm hauling the boat soon to install a reman engine and might like to install some soundproofing while it is out.
Robb - RobS has the shot in his post above showing the underside of the pilot house and the bulkhead seperating the cabin from the bilge area under the pilothouse. I'll try to take a couple.

Pitou has the same package that Rob posted including the quarter berth walls & under side pilot house decks & hatch. In addition the underside of the outside cockpit decks are completely insulated as are the cockpit deck hatches and the midship bulkhead below the enclosure is insulated on the engine side. The engine box is insulated as well. All of the insulation is foil covered foam with some sort of stiffening material sandwiched in the middle and measures 2 1/4 inches thick and is attached with an adhesive or in combination with fender washers and screws.
Last edited by Pitou on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Post by Robb »

Wow, I think I understand one if the early model/later model differences in soundproofing. By 96 has minimal soundproofing with 3/4"-1" metal foil "Soundown" type material. I can imagine the change to 2"+ would make a huge difference. Thank you for the photos and comments.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”