• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2012 Repairs - Aberration or Norm?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

2012 Repairs - Aberration or Norm?

Post by Bluey »

It's been a while since my last post. At that time, we had severe problems docking and leaving the slip due to currents. For 2012, we moved to a different marina, and have had relatively few problems docking or leaving and have come and gone as time permits. Yay. That's the good news. The bad is that I'm looking at how much I spent on repairs in 2012. New nonskid, reweld broken bow rail, repair A/C, reverse blisters on both sides of the hull with the mandatory repaint of the blue hull, mixing elbow replace, tach drive, new throttle cable, fuel line re-run with new vents, new batteries and charger, new bilge pump, and more that I conveniently would like to forget, as well as the normal bottom paint and zincs. All told, close to $20K.

I realize the cheapest part of owning a boat is the purchase price. But $20K for a 28' 2000 TE? My bank balance is looking pretty sick these days (maybe I should be like the feds and just print more money? ;-) If this is an aberration, then I'll work at keeping the boat. If this is more the norm, she's gone, being replaced with a small center console. If I keep her, we'll be at a cheaper (and more sedate and more difficult to dock/leave) marina for 2013 et seq to help with the bank balance.

Advice from you long-time boat owners?
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Re: 2012 Repairs - Aberration or Norm?

Post by meridian »

I would think if you took out the blister and re-paint as a 1 time shot, batteries every 5-7 years, the total number would look a little better.
-------------------------------
Terry
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Oh I know I REALLY REALLY should not do this, but here it goes...

I checked my 2012 repairs and maintenance log. So far in 2012 the only "repairs" I have had to complete are:

1) Replaced my house battery, but, to it's defense, that was my fault, I let it completely discharge when I was working on the boat this passed winter. Plus it was not a deep cycle, it was a cranking/starting battery I got real cheap so it was used for the house knowing it was not the right man for the job anyway.

2) Had a fuel drip at an injector line at the inj pump. I was able to reseat the connection, no parts needed, zero dollars spent.

$200. That's it. Everything else was either elected upgrades or scheduled maintenance.

Give it another season.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Most of that seems to be one time expense. You are at the 12-13 year mark in the life of your boat.
I have been fortunate this year and last. Nothing other than normal maintenance that I can remember.

My boat is a 1995. I know I have expense coming.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

Holy crap.......now you're scaring me.....My expense was an oil change and an anchor bulb (oh, yeah, and the water heater replacement).
Owner of 28' TE
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Capt Ron wrote:Holy crap.......now you're scaring me.....
Ha! Don't be. You know we all get "bit" once in awhile.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

2011 misc photos 003.jpg
Bluey - Sometimes the cost of maintenance and repairs is a lot; sometimes it is not, but this is what it is all about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

I think you took care of a lot of one time expenses. Blister repair, paint hull, new charger. Also you have a number of once in 5 to 10 year expenses. New batteries, new bilge pump, AC repair, exhaust elbow. To be sure there will likely be repair bills each year, but you've covered a lot of the big items all at once. I think you can expect very much lower expense for the next several years.

Quest, for example, is a 2002 model that had 1474 hrs on the engine when I bought her. She had been professionally maintained and and was Awl Gripped a year before. Now, finishing the fourth season with her, I've replaced a transmission cooler, replaced a seal on the transmission output, replaced the batteries, replaced the hydraulic steering ram, and replaced the exhaust elbow. Also early this year i had to replace the AC unit, but this was only three years old and probably defective from the start. Fortunately all of these didn't happen in the same year and so far this year has been trouble free except for the AC. All of this put together was probably around $7,500, including the AC, spread over four years. There are, of course, normal maintenance expenses in addition. This is for a boat that gets used over 200 hrs each year, much higher than average.

I hope this helps you project what to expect over the next several years. With the exception of the hull painting and blister repair, I've probably experience some of the same as you except mine was over four years. Yours was all at once. If you decide to keep Bluey, I think you can expect several years of relatively trouble free use. If you decide to sell, someone will get a boat that has already been through the major expenses.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

"Bluey"
Can't help but to notice the coincidence with the way you are feeling and that of the name of your boat!
We've owned our 2001, 28TE for 10 years and can honestly say that we have had minimal maintenance issues. We Awlgripped in '08 but we are a bit particular on appearance (think toothbrushes) but actual high cost maintenance is not any thing we've experienced.
Like any major "toy", expenses often reflect prior owner's maintenance practices; hopefully once you establish a new baseline with "fixes", you will experience the pleasure of Albin ownership in boating safety and reliability.
All the best for a great 2013 boating season.
Regards,
Don.
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Bluey,
Is there really a norm in any given year involving a boat?

Well having only purchased "Steel Hers" June 1st of this year and feeling like I've culminated all the projects and stuff I wanted to do to her, I sat down today and did a damage assessment. Kinda an ouch, but pretty much in line with what I expected to get her ready for fishing and cruising. Here's a quick hit list of what we've done:

- Rocket Launcher & downrigger, along w/wiring & plumbing livewell
- Full Canvas Enclosure, hatch screens
- New GPS, Compass, Windlass, Anchor & rhode
- 4 AGM Gp 31 batteries, combiner, & 2000 watt inverter
- TV Antenna
- Pantographic Wipers & Blades
- Jabsco Manual Toilet Pump
- 1200 hour Timing Belt change w/tensioner & general engine service (oil, antifreeze, filters, zincs) & water pump rebuild
$10,019
Fuel for maiden voyage from Annapolis to Southport, playing & fishing - $2238

So overall, a good deal of money in 7 months, BUT we're ready to take our first cruise to Charleston, SC, have already been fishing, have one of the "biggies" in maintenance done in the timing belt, so next year should entail a haul-out for bottom paint, etc., oil change, filter changes, and zincs. But then again, it is a boat!

Return to “General Discussion”