• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Refrigerator replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PORT ST LUCIE FLORIDA

Refrigerator replacement

Post by JIMBO44 »

Several dumb questions as I have not had the time to do the proper research to find answers for myself. Boat is 28TE, Engine Box, Matter of Time. Want to change existing flush mount Norcold Tec II Refer. This refer Is flush mount model, Exterior dimensions 21 1/4 x 16 3/4. First search (internet) leads me to think that this is 1.7 cu. ft. model.

Now my questions: a. Is there a larger inside diameter unit that will fit in the existing space (no modification needed) i.e. 2.7 cu. ft? b. Can i install the DC/AC available model and use AC at the dock and DC afloat? p.s. have no generator on the boat.

All of our savvy and helpful members are a big part of what makes an Albin so much fun.

Jimbo 4 :D
JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PORT ST LUCIE FLORIDA

Re: Refrigerator replacement

Post by JIMBO44 »

o.k. I quit being lazy and did the requisite research; tracked down an engineer at Norcold, read their updated technical specifications, and determined that the new DE0740BB Unit was "almost" form and fit and function compatible.

I then went through the older posts of our great group and found out that someone had found out that the newer refer had a different exterior profile that did not fit into the Bow profile, They had also posted a rather straightforward modification procedure to allow for a fit of the new model Norcold. This was in 2010 I believe, one optimist did the R&R in two hours the other did it in about 4 hours. I can probably do in about 6 hours with a iittle luck.

As to the feasibility of dual power; the old blogs had that answer as well; use the existing DC power when away just as before. To prepare for the introduction of AC Power initially, plug the Refer AC cord into the Microwave outlet by cutting access hole to rout it upward to the dual AC plug that the microwave uses. When at dock, turn off DC Refer Breaker. Turn on AC outlet breaker. When leaving the dock, turn off the AC outlet breaker used by the microwave (I have Inverter/Shore Power Switch).

Now as to the Why do it? The new model per their Engineering group, offers several great improvements, I think they looked at the complaints over the years and made engineering improvements to eliminate most of them. Additional reasons, the old one looks ratty, the new one will be AC/DC powered and stop unnecessary battery drain. The one I ordered is has a Stainless Steel Door and Stainless wrapping (should look very nice) and finally the real reason: "the Admiral ordered the modification".

Comments are welcomed, I am a newbie.

Jim
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Jimbo44,
If I recall that is the same model number I purchased. I connected the AC wires to the plug.
The install did take about 2 hours with my brother-in-law helping. He is much better at that stuff than I am.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I replaced my NovaCold with Nova Kool, model #R1600. The Nova Kool was a hair smaller, but it was ac/dc and fit the opening with ease. The new NovaCold, just did not work for me. The depth was too short to slide it in
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

It sounds like you have both power options covered if you have an inverter powering up the the AC outlet for the microwave. If your choice is based on AC/DC model, it sounds like you can get by with straight AC using your inverter. Might want to look at your specs to see if the refer will choose between AC or DC if both are available. Just curious how that would work. I know someday I will be faced with this same question when mine needs replacing.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Carl wrote:It sounds like you have both power options covered if you have an inverter powering up the the AC outlet for the microwave. If your choice is based on AC/DC model, it sounds like you can get by with straight AC using your inverter. Might want to look at your specs to see if the refer will choose between AC or DC if both are available. Just curious how that would work. I know someday I will be faced with this same question when mine needs replacing.
According to the manual it switches automatically when AC power is detected. I have left both the DC and AC switch on and have not noticed smoke yet. 8)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Hello all,

Has any one tried the Nova Kool 1900 or is it too deep? (17 3/4 inches vs 13 3/4 for the 1600). Also, in looking at pricing the DC only is $140 less expensive than the ac/dc. It seems easiest to me to go with straight DC as I don't have an inverter.

Carl
Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Post by Bluey »

Just FWIW, on a y2k 28TE, the DE0740BB norcold is not a direct replacement for the old norcold. The DE0740BB requires a larger hole. While I got a good price on the fridge itself, and it works like a champ on DC and AC, I could've bought a REALLY nice fridge/freezer for the house with the cost of the boat fridge and installation. Just sayin.
Maurice the Boatless

Return to “Albin Maintenance”