• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Enfine flush ideas

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Enfine flush ideas

Post by sweetwater »

On my I/O Parker I installed an engine flush after the water pump so that I could rinse the engine after each run without running it.
If I installed a T-fitting on the exit side of my water pump, and ran a hose from that to a quick disconnect in the cockpit, I should be able to just push a hose onto that fitting and flush the engine while it is not running. My understanding is that the water would be stopped on one side by the raw water pump, and would flow out of the exhaust elbow. I also have a stainless exhause elbow with the water inlet much lower than stock making backing up into the turbo pretty tough.
Am I missing something? I would hate to fill my engine with 30 gallons of water.. But if it would work it would be a real quick and easy way to keep all the salt and mud from my slip out of the engine.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Enfine flush ideas

Post by RobS »

That is not the recommended way to set it up. You do not want to pressurize the seawater loop. You tap into the seawater at the strainer, leave the thruhull open and idle the engine. There is great info on BD on the proper setup.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

I suspected that, but i didnt think there would be any pressure if installed after the pump. Just trying to avoid lifting the hatch, opening and closing valves for every flush. Thanks, better safe than sorry. Do you flush after each run?
Also, last year I made a pump setup with all the fittings for the rydlyme flush...If anyone in the area needs to use it let me know.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Engine flush ideas

Post by RobS »

I know what you mean about it being an open ended system there would be no pressure but there are too many passages through all of the exchangers. I do not flush after every run, or at all. The only fresh water that runs through the seawater side is prior to zinc changes I stick the hose in the strainer and let her run a few minutes, this way when I remove the zincs she dribbles fresh, not salt.

My slip is far up a creek and the water turns quite brackish, so it has not been high on the to do list. If I were at Oakland's at Shinnecock Inlet or out in Montauk it would be a different case. But even though salinity in my slip is very low there are still organisms to grow. In '08 I did the rydlyme. Last year I pulled an end cover off the oil cooler and the passages were clear and I have no temp issues, only a few degree climb at WOT, so she seems to be holding clear. However, with that being said, I do plan to remove all of the seawater cooling components this winter for a preventative "mechanical" cleaning. Maybe I will then consider adding a flush for a fresh start (pun intended)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

What about adding an Groco flush kit which is installed after the seacock but before the strainer. They have a garden hose ftting on them, so you are able to hook up the garden hose and flush your engine. It case of an emergency where you are taking on water and your pumps are unable to keep up with the water coming in, close your sea cock and use the grocco to pump water out and run the engine.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

Serenity...Probably what Ill go with this year.. Gotta stare at it over the winter and decide. Hows your boat been? I didnt see you this summer, it goes way too fast.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Sweetwater,Yacht is doing well and usually Serenity heads west at Crazy Charlie most of the time to practice sinker bounciong. Did Atlantique, but the cabin temps at night become unbearable. The Albins are well insulated. My C-70 Ray Marine went down, sent it back for r&r, so I am waiting to hear on that. What AOG needs is to download all of Rob's (Toy Rific) memory to a flash card. This way if need any input on the engines, the Albins or destruction appraisal, just pop it in and go to the search function.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Albin Maintenance”