• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Loose steering

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Loose steering

Post by jms02050 »

Howdy. Strange thing happened yesterday - went for a quick ride on my 28TE and my steering seemed loose - loose compared to how it has felt previously. Did my usual sleuthing here but didn't find anything about loose steering - only the opposite.

I checked for a fluid leak but everything seemed fine. I'll order some Seastar fluid to perform a top off but did have a general question about the steering cylinder. There's a hose between the 2 fittings on top of the cylinder. It isn't listed in the owners manual - any idea what the hose is for and if it should it be full of fluid or not? And any ideas on stiff steering becoming loose?

Thanks in advance.
IMG_0993.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Loose steering

Post by RobS »

That's the bleeder hose that is simply being stored there across the 2 bleeder tee's. I see fluid in it: Either the last person who bled your steering did not bother to let the hose drip empty OR one of your bleeder fittings need to be tightened. Normally the hose is left empty of fluid.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

I'm not sure what you mean by loose steering, but the symptom I get when fluid is low (air in system) is a bumpy feeling in the steering. I had this problem on a recurring basis until the steering ram was replaced. The old one was leaking slowly, periodically causing the bumpy steering. I would think tight steering would be the result of excessive friction somewhere in the system. Loose may be normal. With no hydrodynamic loads on the rudder, mine turns very easily.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Well, the steering always seemed stiff too me and it seems like a lot of owners report the same experience and many seem to accept stiff steering. The boat is new to me as of March so I can only compare the symptom against how it's felt previously this season. I wouldn't say the steering is bumpy - just seemed loose in that the wheel was easier to turn - to the point that it seemed odd. I'll be sure to check on the bleeder fittings.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

And be sure to check your rudder post stuffing box too.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

I had the same issue a year or so ago. One week everything was fine the next week I had play in the steering. My questions and answers are somewhere on this site. There's only two things that will cause steering looseness, mechanical play or air in the hydraulic system. It's the same as the brakes in your car. My problem was a leak at the steering cylinder at the rudder. Feel around for leaks where the stainless shaft comes out of the cylinder. It doesn't take much to allow air to displace the lost fluid.
Owner of 28' TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Not sure if you did any searches on "steering" but this was a good thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3724&hilit=steering
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”