• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Most Hours on a Cat 3116

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Joe
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Lake Champlain, South Hero, Vermont & Venice Florida

Most Hours on a Cat 3116

Post by Joe »

I've been hearing mixed messages about the cat 3116, so very simply, what are the most hours anyone has seen on one?
BlackWidow
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Hoopers Island, MD

Re: Most Hours on a Cat 3116

Post by BlackWidow »

I have a 2000 CAT 3116 in my 32 SPORTFISHER. It has 1650 hours on it now. We cruise Chesapeake Bay and fish offshore in it. By and large I have been happy with the engine. The basic engine that is. Other things, not so much. CAT does nothing...NOTHING...to protect their engines from the corrosive environment of marine use. So you have constantly to be brushing, acid washing, priming, and painting stuff on the engine. Otherwise you are going get rust holes in things like fuel lines and the expansion tank. And I don't even want to think about what's going on down in the bilge with the oil pan which is totally inaccessable. It could have been worse, but if I had it to do again, I would have gotten the Cummins. The realy "weak link" is the 29" CV Joint drive shaft which connects the engine to the ZF
V-drive gearbox. Anything outside the tolerances for alignment and the CV Joints will self-destruct, and that is a noise (and smell) that you will never forget.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, reach out to me at blackwaterllc at hotmail dot com.

Jim Burton
"BLACK WIDOW"
reelman955
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: west islip ny

Re: Most Hours on a Cat 3116

Post by reelman955 »

I have a buddy that has over 5000 hrs on his 3116 which is in. 31JC downeast. He commercial pin hooks year round on the south shore of long island. puts about 400 hours a year on the motor. Has had no troubles and performs all recommend maintenance .

Return to “General Discussion”