• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Most hours on a cat 3116?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Joe
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Lake Champlain, South Hero, Vermont & Venice Florida

Most hours on a cat 3116?

Post by Joe »

If you look for bad news you get bad news. I'm looking at a boat with a cat 3116, what are the most hours anyone has seen on that engine? I'm hoping for good news. Joe
Joe
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Lake Champlain, South Hero, Vermont & Venice Florida

Re: Most hours on a cat 3116?

Post by Joe »

I'm looking at an Albin with a cat 3116. What are the most hours people have seen on this motor?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Like ANY other engine, longevity depends directly on how the engine was treated...both in maintenance and in loading.
I think you'll find "generally"that an engine used in a more "trawler" type of service where the engine was at lower loading/rpm will last longer than one that was used in a planing type of boat where the owner ran the engine up near max loads often.
That said, I know of many 3116 and 3126 Cats in Mainship trawlers that have a couple thousand hours.
You might do some research on boatdiesel.com as this type of question will get more and better responses there. You'd also learn there what the weaknesses of the engine are and be able to look for those.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Joncat
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Old Saybrook CT

Post by Joncat »

My Hourmeter stopped working just after I bought the Joncat, it shows 2533 hrs. I figure I have around 2800 on it now. I did have to replace the turbo but other than that all original, key with these engines is not to overprop and use the Cat special application 30wt oil.
John Mac
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

Make no mistake, these high powered diesels are not the friend that we had in our sail boats. I know of a 60 hp perkins that had 13000 hours of operation in a sail boat and was still working. A gas powered inboard with 1000 hours is past its prime and looking for some big $$$ to keep it going, possibly soon. Study this with diligence.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”