• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Composting head

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Composting head

Post by JFOkie »

Hello,

I'm considering installing a composting head on my Albin 27 FC and am looking for some feedback from anyone who has installed one.

What brand did you go with? Air Head and Natures Head seem to be the big players. A friend of mine lives on his boat and has an Air Head with no problems. He showed me how it operates and I was amazed that there was no oder. Another friend of mine installed an Air Head last year and again, no oder at all. Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

John
"Nirvana"
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Re: Composting head

Post by Bidgood »

John,

I have had an Airhead in my 30 FC for about 18 months. We cruise all year round in FL. The solids tank works just fine for two people on three day cruises twice a month. In fact I have not had to empty it yet due to the composting action in the tank. The liquid tank (depending on the intake...) needs to be emptied after 4 days with two adults. It is pretty simple to accomplish. The unit is taller than a std marine head so you will have to make accomodation for that.

All in all for our use, the day I rid myself of the marine sanitation system was one best days of cruising. The composting heads have NO smell, no throughhulls,very little to break. Not for everyone but it really takes one more thing off of my worry list on the boat.

Regards,

Tom
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JFOkie »

Tom,

Thanks for the info. I have yet to meet anyone with an Air Head who regets having it....

On a side note, I didn't know that Albin made a 30' FC; what year is your boat and is the layout the same as a 27 FC just larger?

Thanks again,
John
"Nirvana"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Don't mean to step on the conversation but to partially answer your question, here's a picture of a 30FC in my marina. Looks to me like a 28TE Flush Deck with an aft cabin and 2 extra feet.

I'm told Albin only made 28 of them.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Post by Bidgood »

John,

There are three 30 Fc's in this group as far as I know. User names are JohnMurray, who I have met, and KathySails. John is up in in Canada and Kathy is in NC. The 30 FC's are similar but have a different origin. Their similarities are that the have the "FC" look with the aft cabin. But in reality they are TE 28's that have been extended to accomodate the extra space in that aft cabin. They cruise at 18 - 20 mph and are not trawler boats. Mine tops out at 25 mph with the 285 hp Perkins turbo. Both boats provide the captain with plenty of space for guests or in our case, storage for bikes, tools, fenders and the occasional grandchild. The boats have a stable seaworthy hull in common and I would feel safe in most sea conditions. I tell people that the boat fits like an old baseball glove. Once you put it on it's hard to take it off.

Regaeds,

Tom L.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JFOkie »

Tom,

I just found two 30 FC's listed on Yacht World.....I'm in love! What a great boat, I like the extra berth in the main cabin along the port side. The "fits like an old baseball glove" analogy is great!

I love my 27 FC and am looking forward to cruising up the Maine coast next season, but I could see owning a 30 FC down the road for longer cruises.

Thanks for the information!

Regards,
John
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

And let's not forget the extra turn of speed! The 30FC is a bigger brother of the 28TE and is a planing hull boat, whereas the 25 and 27 are displacement boats.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”