• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Volvo gas engine in 28T

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

pfiske
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: CAMDEN, ME

Volvo gas engine in 28T

Post by pfiske »

Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with a volvo 350 gas inboard engine in their Albin 28? This is an inboard, not an inboard outboard drive. Thank you!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Volvo gas engine in 28T

Post by RobS »

I looked at a 28TE with a Mercruiser inboard. Gorgeous boat, but there's supposed to be a diesel in there. Even if it "works" for you, I would worry about resale if/when you decide to let her go. If you go for it be sure the price is adjusted, BIG TIME.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
pfiske
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: CAMDEN, ME

Post by pfiske »

Thanks, good advice! Read something about higher rpm prop issues. What v drives or reduction gears are used ? W the gas engines and is a diesel conversion worthwhile ?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Diesel conversion MAY be worthwhile, depends on at what cost you get into the gas boat for, any salvage value in the engine, what your labor costs for install are (DIY or paying out) etc, etc. A lot of variables. But then you will be starting with a fresh diesel, not bad if it makes sense financially and timewise too. Some people would enjoy that project, others would want no part of it.

As far as ratios, the gear ratio depends on the rpm range of the specific engine; high speed Yanmar's need a 2:1, the Cummins and Penn use a gear of anywhere from 1.4:1 to 1.6:1.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

You would have to be getting an exceptional deal on a boat in very good condition if you're planning on converting her right off the bat.

IMHO
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”