• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AC Odor

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

AC Odor

Post by kjg1951 »

I have a odor only when the AC is running... any thoughts on what could be causing the odor? When it is not running and the boat closed up for the week there is no odor so it is not the head.. I have a 1994 28T Albin.... also while i am on how does the Y-value work i cant seem to fifure out which is for the pump out and which goes through the maserator and to the sea... thanks
Kevin G
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: AC Odor

Post by DougSea »

You could have some mold in the AC system from standing water in the pan. Open up your AC unit and give it a good cleaning.

I also use Kanberra Tea-Tree Oil Gel and find it works really well for keeping things fresh while I'm not on board. Supposedly the oil forms a slight mist that coats the innards of the system and the boat. Really recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Ounce-Kanberra-Ge ... s=kanberra
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

Hi doug
What di you mean "open up your AC" ???
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

kjg1951 wrote:Hi doug
What di you mean "open up your AC" ???
I mean go to where the unit is located, most likely under your v-berth, open up the cover for the compartment, and get in there with a vacum and a sponge with some good cleaner. Just make sure it's off!

You'll see the compressor and the coils and they will be sitting in a drip pan that catches the condensation. Make sure it's clean.

Also look around the area surrounding the unit, as the air flows over it and could be picking up smells. Finally, on many boats the area where the AC unit sits may be open to the bilge, so THOSE odors could also be impacting you! :shock:
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

In the automotive repair area we get an odor that is described as "a musty refridgerator". If that's what you have there are a few products that are mildewcides. They're to be sprayed directly on the evaporator core. It'll take care of mildew for a few months.
Owner of 28' TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”