• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Swim platform rust

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Swim platform rust

Post by Pasteur »

The bolts for the ladder are always bleeding a rusty stain on to the platform. I've used the rust removal product and it works great. But I would have to do it daily to keep up.

When she's hauled for the season I'll pull them and have closer look.

Any thoughts for now? Is the stain removing product contributing to the problem by exposing more iron to oxidize?

Thanks.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Swim platform rust

Post by jleonard »

I see you are from Jamestown, RI. Why not go to the "experts" Jamestown Distributors, and ask them if they have a more corrosion resistant bolt for sale? (I think 316 stainless is the better as opposed to the less costly 303 or 304.)
EDIT: Please don't take my response in the wrong way. Jamestown should be able to advise you, and of course please let us know what they say.
I know in the valve industry we used stainless, but had every part "passivated" to make them more corrosion resistant. (passivation removes surface iron particles to make them as rust proof as they can be)
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I agree. Probably crevice corrosion. Replace with new and the best grade ss you can get. Plan on replacing once they start rusting again. Maybe antiseize or loctite on the treads may help.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by Pasteur »

jleonard
Certainly no offense taken.
Interesting coincidence...The experts from Jamestown Distributors are no longer in Jamestown. They've moved away from the water to somewhere up the state. I tihnk they're just a mail order house now. The coincidence is that my company has an office in their old space.

Thanks to both of you for the response. I will get those bolts removed and replaced when she's hauled.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

They've moved away from the water to somewhere up the state
At least they did not move to China