• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
STIDD_engineer
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Southold NY

Post by STIDD_engineer »

Hi just joined.
I have always admired the lines and layout of the 28TE and hope to one day have the opportunity to own one. I currently have a 21 Aquasport that I primarily use in the Peconic Bay on Long Island which is good for these waters. It’s a little small for off shore fishing and extended overnights to Block, CT or MA.

I first was introduced to Albin through my uncle Terry Compton who worked as their lead designer years ago. I will never forget the time my cousin and I were given the keys to the prototype 35+2 (I think that what is was called) for its maiden voyage from Tiverton RI to Cos Cobb CT to deliver it for a boat show. I was maybe 20 and had no boating experience and my cousin not much more. No navigation equipment just a compass and chart. I remember the rollers coming in when we went under the Newport Bridge; we were getting air in that boat! I recall we broke the bowsprit off and it was hanging by the anchor, Fred Peters wasn’t too happy when we pulled into Cos Cobb.

Now 25 years later I’m an engineer at STIDD Systems, Inc. in Greenport NY where we make helm seats (don’t ask for a free seat) and submersible vehicles for the Navy. My office overlooks Greenport harbor and every once in a while I see a 28 or 35 go by and envy the guys on it.

Anyway, I thought I join the forum to see what’s going on with Albin these days and maybe get the itch again to look for one to buy.

v/r
Rich
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: New Member

Post by DougSea »

How about a discount? :)

Welcome aboard Rich, it's good to have you here. I went from an Aquasport 205 Osprey to a 215 Explorer and then to our first Albin, a 28 TE. So the path has been followed before!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Welcome aboard. Any friend or family member of Terry Compton is welcome. We were just talking about him in one of the forums. How is he doing?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
STIDD_engineer
Swabby
Swabby

Post by STIDD_engineer »

Honestly I have been out of touch with him since I moved to NY and my cousin joined the Army. I hear through my family that that they are doing well still living in RI. I liked his more recent design efforts with the Compton 33. I remember many fun times around his kitchen table in Tiverton when I was in college. He (and their friends) are all crazy! True Brit humor all around.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Welcome!

Hey, if you looked out the window of your office last weekend you would have seen me go by in my A27FC heading through Sterling Harbor. I couldn't make it to the AOG Rendezvous last weekend so I cruised around Greenport (in the rain). I'm out of Albertson's in Southold.

I love Stidd seats but on my boat it may be a tad overkill!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
STIDD_engineer
Swabby
Swabby

Post by STIDD_engineer »

Beep next time you go by. :)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I grew up boating in Center Moriches and my family was very friendly with the Stidd brothers, especially Steve. I think they were more into the medical equipment at that time, if memory serves, that was quite some time ago. I fished offshore aboard Steve's boat many times with my father, I especially remember tuna fishing when they were hot in the Patchogue grounds. One time Steve and his girlfiend Julie hooked up with a Giant there, he had it to the boat but they could not boat it, even with the bear that Steve is.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
STIDD_engineer
Swabby
Swabby

Post by STIDD_engineer »

I have heard the name Robert Stidd referenced around the office, didn't know there were 2 brothers. They were before my time, I started in 2001.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Yup, Bob & Steve. I'm going back mid 80's to early 90's...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “New Member Introductions”