• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AC location

Bill Z

AC location

Post by Bill Z »

Hi, I'm new, in Maine with a 2003 28 TE with V-drive, engine box, and 315 Yanmar.
Seeking advice:
1. No AC (New England boat). Where is the typical location(s) for installing a AC/heat unit?

2. Boat had stock 19 x 19 prop; lots of vibration so ordered new one. Shop insisted re shaping the new one to 19 x 18 with cup. Over winter had old one reworked (no 2 of the 4 blades had same pitch). Old one on the boat runs maybe a 1/2 - 1 kt faster at same RPM as new one. Question: at say 3500 RPM what speed should I be getting, clean bottom 1/2 fuel, etc. One owner up here says he regularly cruises at 20 kts.

Thank you, Bill 28 TE All Set
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: AC location

Post by loubennett »

The a/c unit is almost always installed under the dinette/v-berth with the main supply duct just forward of the hanging locker and the return on the forward vertical surface under the dinette. The sea water intake is on the starboard side under the helm seat and the seawater discharge next to the bilge pump and head sink drain discharges on the starboard side. The location of the thermostat may vary. Mine is on the vertical surface facing aft on the port dinette seat. Most installations also have a secondary supply duct in the head. Look in the Documents section for the 28TE Technical Bulletin. It shows the factory layout.

As for the prop, the correct prop depends on engine and transmission combination. A search will lead to many discussions on rpm and speed that should be achieved. I'm always a little skeptical on claims to cruise at 20 knots unless they have a significantly higher horsepower engine than typical in these boats. I often wonder if they are confusing knots and miles per hour. I find 15 to 17 knots to be a reasonable cruising speed with my Yanmar 315 HP and 17 knots is about 20 miles per hour.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
SCHOOLIE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: MYC, Braintree, MA

Post by SCHOOLIE »

I also am planing to put AC in my 28 flush deck, so thanks for the info. Any recomendations on brand and BTUs?

As for the prop question, it should be able to let the engine reach max RPM, with the boat loaded to it's normal operating weight. I have the same engine in a 2003 flush deck. For me that is 3800 RPM wide open for a couple of minutes in calm seas. Point of interest that is just under 23 knots. I cruise at 3000 RPM, about 15.5 knots, and about 8 GPH.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Gents,

The fairly definitive post on AC in a 28: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3254

Hat tip to Rob and Matt. :-)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Schoolie, mine is a Marine Air 10k btu. It works well. Cruisair is also good. We had Jere Crews (the founder of Cruisair and an Albin owner) talk at the Chesapeake Rendezvous. He said all of the marine air conditioner manufacturers use pretty much the same major components in their systems (compressors, fans, etc.). The best advice may be to find a local dealer with a good reputation for standing behind his product, and go with whatever brand he carries.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
SCHOOLIE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: MYC, Braintree, MA

Post by SCHOOLIE »

Doug & Lou,

Thanks for the info. Is 10 BTU original in a 28? seems excessive.

Semper Paratus,
Arthur
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

You will probably see units from 7,000 to 10,000 btu. I think they are basically the same. They have just become more efficient over the years and are rated higher. The important thing is the physical size so it fits. Beyond that the more btu's the better. When it gets in the high 90's to 100 here in Maryland, the 10,000 btu is certainly not overkill. Remember, boats are very poorly insulated, consequently hard to cool or heat.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

SCHOOLIE wrote:Doug & Lou,

Thanks for the info. Is 10 BTU original in a 28? seems excessive.

Semper Paratus,
Arthur
When I bought mine I had plans to direct a vent to the pilothouse. Even without that I found that it did a very good job of maintaining a comfortable temp without being oversized. If you don't run a vent to the head you can get a latch that will hold the door partially open and cool / dehumidify the head as well.

(Did you do anything to commemorate the USCG birthday?)

Best
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

A 19x18 with med to hvy cup will run smoother than a 19x19 with little to no cup. The skeg keel creates turbulence and the cup is needed to improve prop efficiency (reduce slippage/vibration). A 20knt cruise is not true with a 6LP unless you are overpropped and running her hard. Lou and Schoolie's numbers are right on.

As far as the A/C install, search and you shall find..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”