• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Installing Downrigger Base

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Chris & Dale

Installing Downrigger Base

Post by Chris & Dale »

Here's a quick & dirty installation of a Cannon swivel downrigger base on the port side near the stern cleat. Remove the 8 screws holding the engine vent just in front of your shore power. Cut off shore power. Look up inside with a flashlight & you'll be surprised how much access you will have, just note any wires currently run. Pick your location, mark and drill your holes. I used new s/s bolts, BIG washers, and nylon lock nuts. 4000 the entire edge of the base and around each bolt hole. Install base. It's easier to have a 2nd person now to use a power screwdriver after you've installed the washer and nut and have a wrench on it. Torque it down, clean up the oozed out 4000, reinstall your vent, and go fishing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Installing Downrigger Base

Post by DougSea »

Chris & Dale wrote:...Torque it down, clean up the oozed out 4000, reinstall your vent, and go fishing.
Forgive me if you know this but...

When you're installing something like this with a sealant layer you want to tighten it down MOST of the way, let it set up overnight, and then torque it down. Otherwise you force most of the sealant out and don't get as good of a bond and seal.

It's always nice to find an easy access spot! 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”