• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Marina fresh water supply

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Marina fresh water supply

Post by amber jj »

How would I install the necessities to install a fresh water hook up from the marina water supply?I don't think it would be as easy as just teeing into a cold water line.Is there a check valve so you don't have to keep supplying the reservoir?We have a 2000 31 Albin with 70 gallon fresh water tank.A couple of ideas to get me on track would be great.Thanks Bob
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Re: Marina fresh water supply

Post by meridian »

Bob, I'm not sure how to get you started but with a 70 gal tank, you could just fill it up when needed. No worries about a failure with the dock hook-up that could flood the boat. In previous threads many suggest to shut off the watter supply at the dock any time you leave the boat.
Terry
-------------------------------
Terry
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

The "city water" feed, which should have it's own regulator and check valve built in, normally feeds into your potable water system downstream of the fresh water pump.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

Doug does the fresh water pump act as check valve,or does one have to be installed at this point?Thanks Bob
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

I'm honestly not certain if my system has a check valve between the city water inlet tee and the pump. It makes sense to me that you'd want one. There's a decent diagram at West.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... er-Systems

While Terry is quite correct in his post about the 70 gallons being a good amount of water I can tell you that given the choice I'd rather consume city water than the stagnent science experiment in my tank! :-) I keep it conditioned and treated but it's still never as fresh as the marina supply. Plus you'd be amazed how fast you can go through 70 gallons when you have a proper shower aboard!
Doug
Sonny IV
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

Thankyou so much I think this will make a good cool weather project this fall.Thanks again Bob & Val
jbutzer

Post by jbutzer »

Sorry for the late reply. IMHO the potential for a leak that floods the boat cannot be overstated. Make sure you have an easy, convenient way to shut the city water off each time you leave the boat.

Regarding regulating fluctuating city water pressure, which can cause 'the big burst', that is also an that the RV industry has dealt with successfully. In retailers that have a decent RV department, preset regulators that are set-up with garden hose fittings are available for $6.00. Not putting a redundant regulator in the hose feed from the marina would, again IMHO be a mistake.

Lastly, water from any source, while it may not be the 'science experiment' that we all have aboard, it can still be suspect as well. I use a filter assembly for YACHTA YACHTA and our RV from parts gathered at Home Depot for around $40. You would be as amazed as us at how much crud the filter picks-up from 'good' water sources.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I second that thought about filtration. I have a GE water filter in my line after the pump and dockside water supply. Works well, replacement filters at Lowe's or whereever once/year. I have a check valve installed upstream of my pump as noted in the previous post, and always shut off the water when we leave.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I have to agree whole heartedly with shutting off the dock water supply when leaving the boat.

A 35' Doral two slips down from mine sank a couple of years ago due to a hose connection failure on an automatic ice maker. Those were some expensive ice cubes !

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I installed a Jabsco water inlet on my 28 and used "whale" fittings and the blue hose to tap into the freh water side after the pump. The fillitings are all snap in and releasable. In my case, the fresh water line was 3 feet away under the cockpit sole. I use a water filter, (normally fixed mounted somewhere on the boat) as a portable unit at the dock or next to water inlet on the boat. Alot easier to replace the filter and store it underway. I certainly agree with Doug. the chemical reaction in my water tank probably looks a favorite to win at a science fair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Before you go cutting a hole and mounting it, hold the garden hose in place where you think you might like it. The hose sticks straight out from the device and is a tripping hazard and can also be cracked if stepped down on. Mine is factory installed on the angled face of the port gunned step, not terrible but not great either. I would have mounted elsewhere or may even add another some where more out of the way some day.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I use an a 90 degree angle adapter to connnect to the water supply. The dockside hose runs lateral to the port side and travels with the power cord to the dock. The hose in the picture is from the salt water washdown. I looked into the port step and I decided with my size 13 shoe or foot, whatever is uniform of the day, I would step on it or find a way to step on it.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

I've also installed a water filter at my slip. I use it for filling the water tank and washing the boat. I find the quality of the water (unfiltered) to be fine for the feed to my inlet, but I want to keep chlorine and any other contaminants out of my aluminum tank and the filtered water rinses off with fewer spots when I wash the boat.
MarinaWaterFilter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

My detailer friend said that will help big time with the water spots on the blue hull. I guess you find that it does? Home Depot? Is it ABYC and USCG certified?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:... Is it ABYC and USCG certified?
I'm sure for an extra $500 or so... :lol:

In which case I'D be certifiable!
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Albin Maintenance”