• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

oil in bilge

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

oil in bilge

Post by saltshaker28 »

getting oil in my bilge on my 315 yanmar could the oil sender if it went bad drop oil into the bilge it seems like quite a bit ?
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Re: oil in bilge

Post by gerber30 »

check your oil dip stick tube that goes down the side of the engine and connects to the bottom of the pan. They are made of steel and if you have a leaking stuffing box it will sling saltwater or fresh water all over the oil pan and the tube. This is something you should check every so often because it does not take long if you are boating in saltwater.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Could be at the sender, oil pan/dipstick tube, oil return lines, oil cooler lines
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

it is not the oil sender checked that yesterday I will check the dip tube today ?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

And the steel oil return lines that run on the dipstick side of the engine. They can be replaced with hose if needed or replaced with new..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Saltshaker 28,

I had the exact same problem. I noticed the oil as I was getting ready to crank over the engine. I have a habit of looking in the bilge before and after starting my engine. I check for water and oil leaks on every trip. It took a while to find it since mine was on the oil cooler lines. It was leaking where the line attached to the engine block. It was very hard to see since the end piece was tucked a little under the engine and would not leak at idle only when I was under way. The leak was on two long lines on the starboard side of the engine. However, I have the Peninsular 300 engine. The leak on my boat was caused by my dripless packing. The packing was spraying a fine mist of salt water that eventually cased rust and weakness. It was also a fine mist that was not easily seen. Apparently, this leak was so hard to see that it was missed on the survey.

Hope this helps.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

i my experience it is not unusual for marine surveyors to "miss" important issues while making note of

benign issues i.e. stantion railings should be re-bedded. my survey seemed to be full of such b.s. and the important things are found by the new owner at inoppourtune moments
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

The good news is as best as I can tell I have no oil leak I spent 4 hours in the bildge foward and aft and got every drop of water and what oil was on top of the water then took the boat out and gave it a good run for about an hour when I got back to the dock I checked the bildge for any oil drips and could find none so a little oil spill from changing the filter can look very scary when mixed with water in your bildge !

Return to “Albin Maintenance”