• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dirty Fuel

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

James Grant
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Baycrest Marina, Big Island, Ontario

Dirty Fuel

Post by James Grant »

Folks:

Looking for some guidance here

Boat quit a few days ago - we were out and it just dropped from 1800 rpm to about 800 then quit and we were unable to restart - checked the Racor and it has a half inch of sludge in the bottom and shows other dirt - changed the sight tubes thinking I had run it really low and it had drawn air and the fuel slopping around had stirred up the dirt. I installed the new tubes last night and when I reopened the valves there was considerable debris that was seem floating in the fuel. There is at least half a tank of fuel in each so it the low fuel theory is out the window.
Course the filters will all be changed out and the system bleed and that will probably get her running again
SO it appears I have a dirty tank problem - and I'm not sure what remedy's there are save the ultimate pull the engine and replace the tanks which is obviously the last solution and the most expensive.

Any suggestions on a permanent fix?

Thanks
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
Groucho Marx
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Re: Dirty Fuel

Post by meridian »

I would think you could have the fuel filtered, there are companies that do this.
-------------------------------
Terry
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Re: Dirty Fuel Problem

Post by sweetwater »

You can call a fuel polisher.... They will come and drain/polish or replace your fuel. They can also clean your tank through the sending unit hole. Have them clean your lines and filter housings also. I had it done last year. Good luck, shouldn't be that big of a deal for the right company.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I just passed thru the Bay of Quite a few dyas ago. Currently in Peterborough.
If this were me, and it was a few years ago, I would again install a larger (Racor 900 series) 30 micron filter as the "mud" filter, then use 10 micron in the current Racor, then let the on engine filters catch the rest.
Since I did that on my boat I have never seen any vacuum on the filter gages. I usually run a year or 2 on each filter.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
James Grant
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Baycrest Marina, Big Island, Ontario

Post by James Grant »

Hi There J.
I'll do that, I was thinking of installing bigger better filters - trying to get a hold of a fuel polisher but they are few and far between in Canada.
Where will you be this weekend?
Grant
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
Groucho Marx
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

James Grant wrote:Hi There J.
I'll do that, I was thinking of installing bigger better filters - trying to get a hold of a fuel polisher but they are few and far between in Canada.
Where will you be this weekend?
Grant
I am cruising the Trent Severn Waterway. I am currently in Fenelon Falls, Ontario.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”