• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1980 36 DC Holding tank leak

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JCDSAIL
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: BRANFORD CONNECTICUT

1980 36 DC Holding tank leak

Post by JCDSAIL »

I am getting water in the forward bilge constantly. After pouring a yellow dye in thru the head, the water in the bilge turned yellow. I am unable to see the entire holdinhg tank due to the generator location on top.
Former owner thinks its a hose connection problem.
Any Suggestions ?
Thanks
JCDSAIL
meridian
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Looper

Re: 1980 36 DC Holding tank leak

Post by meridian »

I was just working on mine today. I think you will have to bite the bullet and move the gen set. All my connections were at the aft end of the tank, then the shower sump, then the engine. There was an elaborate set up of a PVC 'T' with each end having some 90 degree elbows until it connected to the hoses. After replacing the 30 year old hoses, it sure smells a lot better. I also tossed the toilets. My gen set is set off to the starboard side, maybe you can relocate yours. I'm sure you will need to get in there again.
-------------------------------
Terry
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

We had a leak years back on our 36' DC - turned out the pipe fitting to the holding tank had actually rotted through. it was a crappy job (forgive the pun) and difficult to get to - luckily it was being hauled to have work don ein the yard - so we pawned it off on them. If I remember correctly it was part of the vent pipe connection where the issue was.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
JCDSAIL
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: BRANFORD CONNECTICUT

Post by JCDSAIL »

Thanks for the replie. So much for the survey I paid for that concluded the front bilge water was from a rain storm the night before. I thought the water smelled a litle like holding tank water. Now I am waiting to see this repair will cost and I cannot use the boat.
What a bummer.

JCDSAIL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”