• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AC Condensation Drainage

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Chris & Dale

AC Condensation Drainage

Post by Chris & Dale »

I have discovered a fairish amount of clean condensation water accumulated just below my AC unit in the bow. There's a dribble of condensation runoff to the bilge behind the bow thruster mounting area. When I explored the trough under the AC there appeared to be a possible tube that was glassed over and would be the logical choice as a direct shot to the bilge but it doesn't appear to drain off. So the questions are:
1. Do you get this kind of clean water condensation accumulation in this area?
2. Is that a tube I think I'm seeing?
3. If it is a drain tube to the bilge, has anyone ever had it clogged, and if so, how did you clear it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: AC Condensation Drainage

Post by RobS »

There is a tunnel that connects the thruster bilge to the fwd bilge under the dinette, etc. Perhaps it is clogged or someone may have intentionally plugged it to keep other bilge water from flowing up there when she is bow down, coming off plane, etc. You can blast it with a garden hose from the thruster area shooting aft. All the bilge compartments of the 28 are connected, from the thruster to the transom. A shop vac works great for bilge clearing/cleaning. Hope this helps..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Funny you should ask. I just discovered that tube was plugged this week. A coat hanger works wonders for clearing it. Man, was it gross! The forward compartment will drain right out after the coat hanger trick.

The forward end of the tube is in the v-berth under the a/c. The easiest way to clean it is from the aft end. You'll need to remove the table base - lots of screws, but no big deal.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Thanks for verifying what I thought it looked like. Coat hanger coming out today! Thanks

Return to “Albin Maintenance”