• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dinghy / Motor Storage on a 28

JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Dinghy / Motor Storage on a 28

Post by JackK »

Just wondering where you guys carry your dinghy and store the motor.

I have yet to stay on the hook because I need to get my dog to shore for nature calls. My first thought was St. Croix davits. The problem is that I fish almost all the time and having the davits in place, with or without the dinghy, really obstructs the transom. Besides that, the St. Croix system was pricey.

The second concern I have is where the heck to put the motor. I'm told you cannot lay the 4 stroke motors down. I talked to the local Albin dealer and he said he has seen people make an insert to fill the transom door slot that is high enough to mount the engine to while not in use.

I'm left with the idea of something like an Avon Redcrest which can be stored in a bag and rowed. I don't know how realistic it is to be rowing from a mooring or anchor to shore if winds or currents pick up.

Any suggestions ?

Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Dinghy / Motor Storage on a 28

Post by DougSea »

JackK wrote:Just wondering where you guys carry your dinghy and store the motor.

I have yet to stay on the hook because I need to get my dog to shore for nature calls. My first thought was St. Croix davits. The problem is that I fish almost all the time and having the davits in place, with or without the dinghy, really obstructs the transom. Besides that, the St. Croix system was pricey.

The second concern I have is where the heck to put the motor. I'm told you cannot lay the 4 stroke motors down. I talked to the local Albin dealer and he said he has seen people make an insert to fill the transom door slot that is high enough to mount the engine to while not in use.

I'm left with the idea of something like an Avon Redcrest which can be stored in a bag and rowed. I don't know how realistic it is to be rowing from a mooring or anchor to shore if winds or currents pick up.

Any suggestions ?

Jack
I'll be interested to hear the responses you get to this one. I can shed some light on the question of 4-strokes being laid down. Because they have a crankcase filled with oil you do need to follow the manufacturers instructions on HOW they can be placed on the ground (or deck). The yamaha's we use at our club all have a sticker on them showing that they can be laid down on their 'backs', or on their right side (control arm up). We store them this way in the off season.

I believe the original owner of my boat used a dinghy storage system which clipped the dingy to the swim platform and then flipped it up. There are a pair of very small brackets (which would not get in the way of fishing) on my swim platform and I'm guessing there was a second component mounted to the dingy. I'll do some searching and see if I can figure out the brand. There's also a stainless plate on my transom door which shows signs of having been used as a motor storage location, I assume he had a fairly small motor and kept it clamped to the door.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackK »

Thanks Doug -
I believe the clips you have on your swim platform are Weaver Davits. I was discounting that mount because of the requirement of keeping the motor upright but maybe it can be done.

If I could mount the motor on the door and store the dinghy on the platform, it might be workable.

Jack

dingy on swim platform

Post by Double Lucky »

On the Double Lucky (28TE) we store our 10 ft inflatable dinghy on the "weaver davits"--very handy. Boarding the dinghy is easily done off the swim platform--retrieval is straight forward, too. The 2 hp suzuki is easily moved into the cockpit for storage. It is very light and will ride on the transom door but I need to find a better bracket. Also, it can lay flat in the cockpit. Simple easy makes it fun to anchor out.
tomcat rio

i have found that ...

Post by tomcat rio »

... a lot of the time, rowing is just as easy as messing with a motor. i do have an ancient mariner 2 hp though.

oars are easy to store.i got mine at the local oar house.:)
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

When I purchased my 28' used it came with StCroix davits mounted on the transom. I found them to be a pain in the neck. They held the 9' dingy just fine but they were very heavy, cumbersome and always in the way, when stored or when mounted. I sold them and now I just flip my dingy on it's side on the swim platform, tie two lines from the platform, cross them behind the dingy and tie them off to the rear cleats. It's quick, simple easy and costs nothing. My four stroke engine lays on a towel on the side recomended by the engine builder. I would like to find a better way to mount the engine, but Im still looking. I do not have a transom door, any suggestions? Denis
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackK »

Thanks for the input. You confirmed my thoughts that the St. Croix system would be a pain in the neck. I didn't know that you could lay the 4 strokes down at all.

Do you do anything special to keep the motor from sliding around while underway?

Even better, where do you put it when you are leaving the boat? I'm a little nervous putting gasoline below deck but I was thinking if it could lay down in the center fish box on my flush deck that wouldn't be bad. Would the sun beating on the deck create a problem with heat in the box?

Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

JackK wrote:
Even better, where do you put it when you are leaving the boat? I'm a little nervous putting gasoline below deck but I was thinking if it could lay down in the center fish box on my flush deck that wouldn't be bad. Would the sun beating on the deck create a problem with heat in the box?

I'm planning on storing a small gas tank in my transom fishbox. Since it has it's own over the side drain any spills or fumes should leave the boat without getting near the bilge. Obviously you still need to check for fumes before starting the engine and would want to add a regular "drain hose inspection" to your safety checks.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Outboard stowage

Post by RicM »

While shopping for a 28TE I saw 2 older boats that had outboard brackets on the transom, presumably for trolling motors. Why not mount such a bracket up a little higher (out of the water) to store a small outboard?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I too am interested in what you guys are doing. Presently I am towing a 10' inflatable w/ Yamaha 9.9. I keep it drawn tight to the swim platform until I get up to 1700-1800 RPM. Then the mate will pay out the line until it sits on top of the wake.
Not the most elegant but it works well for short trips. Since we are planning longer cruising this summer I'll need a better way. I like to leave the outboard mounted because of the weight, my back, and being generally lazy.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Jumping on late for this one, sorry, just joined the board late February.

Weaver Snap Davits did the trick for me. My Zodiac does not always come with me so I installed the quick-kit plates on the swim platform which allows you to remove the davit heads which just simply snap in when needed leaving a clean platform for fishing or swimming. I currently remove the outboard and stow on the rear deck (PITA) when the inflatable is on the back. Just take the painter and draw beneath the far tube and lift quick and easy and tie off to the rear cleats / no standoffs needed. :D
About : $ 400 I got lucky and found a used set from my inflatable dealer and paid $ 150.

Weaver just came out with the Weaver Leaver designed to be used with the Snap davits. The system allows the motor to stay on your transom and pivot so you motor stays on the inflatable and straight up and down.
About $ 550

Anyway great system but the full boat gets pricey. No Weaver Leaver for me this season / next season. :(

All told I guess the acronym for BOAT stands again!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Resurrecting another old thread...

We used Weaver davits on our previous boat - we like them a lot. We're planning to install them on our 28TE. I was looking at the swim platform the other day and got to wondering....once you flip up the inflatable, how do you secure it to the boat? On our previous boat, we tied it to the aft rail.....uh, there's no aft rail on the Albin. Not sure how well it would work tied to the aft cleats, especially since we use the cleats at the dock.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

You can mess around with tying it to cleats etc, but Weaver makes stainless "stand off" rods that mount to a flat area on the transom and connect to small "L" brackets on the dingy. They worked quite well.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Thanks, Ric.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Here are a couple of pictures of our rigid inflatable mounted on removable Weaver Davits and tied as opposed to using a standoff. The painter is clipped to the tow eye in the rigid portion of the inflatable and then brought back over and around the starboard side tube, down and wrapped around the toe rail and then brought back up and secured to the aft port side cleat.
1.JPG
2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”