• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

HOW DO OTHER 28TE OWNERS RIG THEIR MOORING PENNANT?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Helen44

HOW DO OTHER 28TE OWNERS RIG THEIR MOORING PENNANT?

Post by Helen44 »

We're the new owners of Ric Murray's beautiful 28TE, TAT. After decades of sailing, we're now looking forward to some great times on our Albin and to meeting many of you. Let us know if you are cruising our way -- Great Harbor, Woods Hole. By the way, TAT has a new name, PRUDENCE, that signals Al's current attitude towards boating after recently celebrating his 90th birthday.

We've been enjoying the exchanges on this forum and look forward to participating, although we may not provide as many entertaining posts as Ric. We're starting off looking for some advice. Over the years we have moored our various boats with a single pennant run from a large floating buoy to either a single bow chock or over a custom roller attached to one side of the bowsprit.

The Albin presents a new problem. The anchor and windlass rule out a single pennant to the bow. A two part bridle to the widely spaced mooring cleats seems to work without fouling on the anchor. However, we hope someone in the Group has found a less cumbersome solution.

Helen & Al Wilson
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: HOW DO OTHER 28TE OWNERS RIG THEIR MOORING PENNANT?

Post by jcollins »

Helen,
I don't moor my Albin. I'm sure others will jump in here. I just wanted to thank you for joining and becoming a GOLD supporting member.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Helen,

Welcome aboard! Glad to hear TaT has an AOGer as an owner!

I moored our prior boat, a 28TE for a number of years and twin, relatively short lines to the bow cleats is the way to go.

You want them short so that with shifting tides, as the boat rides up to the ball, that the lines don't drop over the ball and twist. If there's was concern with a storm or other heavy weather I would sometimes swap to a longer set of pennants to provide more shock protection.

You could just do a single line over the anchor roller, but in my mind that's too much of a pain if you want to still use your anchor!

(Admin note - I'm going to move this post to "General Discussion" since it will likely get more attention and responses there)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Welcome, Helen and Al!

A new boat at 90...I'm seriously impressed. And inspired! I figure I have as good a shot at it as anyone - my dad is out sailing every day at age 87.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

We installed a bit just aft and to the side of the windlass. This has worked well for us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Our mooring pennant is "Y" shaped.
The first straight piece coming off the mooring ball is 8-10 ft with floats. The it branches to the Y formation with spliced eyes at each end. Those lengths (another 8-10 ft.) then go through the cleats with chafe protectors, and both eyes go over the front bit, with the two horns.
Very secure. Never been a problem.
When leaving the mooring, we snap-hook those spliced eyes together, attach a pick-up bouy, and our 13 Whaler for our return.
I even have a duplicate pennant with a large snap-hook at the end to use on moorings when visting other harbors. Sometimes the mooring lines in other destination harbors are filthy and gross. The duplicate pennant does not have the floats on the lower end.

These are not too difficult to make if you can splice three-standed line. Or have a local make them up for you.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Helen44

Post by Helen44 »

Bob, thanks for describing your mooring setup in such detail. Our pennant and bridle system will be simplified and improved by a couple of your features. We will also make a portable bridle such as yours for use when picking up moorings elsewhere.

Helen and Al Wilson

Return to “General Discussion”