• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

new member...new older boat

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

new member...new older boat

Post by Vic K »

I just purchased a 1984 27 that needs a bit of work. I need all the info sources I can get for the boat as well as the engine, which I believe its a 62 hp Ford Lehman. Looking forward to being an Albineer.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: new member...new older boat

Post by jcollins »

Congratulations on the new-to-you boat.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Welcome aboard and congratulations on becoming an Albineer! Post some pictures when you have a chance.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Hi Capt'n -

I also have a 1984 A27 FC with the Lehman 4 cylinder diesel. The engine is actually not a Ford, but a Peugeot that was marinized by Lehman. It is 61 hp also.

If you are a "supporting member" of this forum you have access to the document library where you'll find a PDF owner's manual for our engine.

Congrats on a fine boat. Mine is the 14th boat I've owned over the many years I've been boating, and it's one of my favorites.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Thanks. Moving from a 40 motrorsailer to this Albin. Getting long in the tooth but looking forward to this project. The engine being a Peugeot and not a ford set me back on my heels but I guess I'd better get over it ,since it's now, mine and move on. The engine runs but needs at least a top end. What does one have to do to become a 'supporting member"?

Vic
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

CaptVic wrote:What does one have to do to become a 'supporting member"?

Vic
Hi Vic,

Supporting Members are those who have contributed to the operation of the site. The easiest way is through the purchase of a burgee or other gear. There's a link on the main AOG page.

Thanks
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Thanks Sonny,

Looking forward to being in the association. I am excited about re doing this 27 fc...really like the boat even though I'll never been aboard one. I own a slip on Galveston Bay but I'm taking the boat home to work on it as I can park it outside my shop and less than 50 feet from my backdoor. Have to build a temp fence around it so the horses don't take a few nibbles. They will still have an opportunity to voice their opinions.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

The A27 FC is no rocket ship - especially with the 61 horse Lehman, but it does get there. Several of my other boats were of the "go fast" variety (3 Donzi's, a Checkmate and a Baja) but I enjoy my Albin more than I did the others. Maybe it's because I'm 52 now.

As my former dock landlord once told me when he saw that I sold my 19' Donzi and bought a 32' Pacemaker... "There's a point in life when you want a boat that goes slow enough that you can hear the blender run..."

I think I'm there.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

I have underwear older than you Hetek...I think I may be wearing them now. Yep, olive drab.
Low and slow is my speed. I am looking forward to working on this 27. It's suppose to be delivered this Friday.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

hetek wrote:The A27 FC is no rocket ship - especially with the 61 horse Lehman, but it does get there. Several of my other boats were of the "go fast" variety (3 Donzi's, a Checkmate and a Baja) but I enjoy my Albin more than I did the others. Maybe it's because I'm 52 now.

As my former dock landlord once told me when he saw that I sold my 19' Donzi and bought a 32' Pacemaker... "There's a point in life when you want a boat that goes slow enough that you can hear the blender run..."

I think I'm there.
I just turned 37 when I bought my Albin, and I never had a Donzi, Checkmate or Baja, so you are making me feel old now! Well at least my Albin gets on plane!!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

CaptVic: when you say "Low and slow"... I hope you're talkin' about the 27' Albin and not your underwear!

I sold a 28' Carver Mid Cabin Express to get my Albin. Why? Because the Carver wouldn't go slower than 20 knots and stay on plane! If I wanted to take it down a notch I was reduced to displacement speeds anyway.

Another deciding factor for my search for a displacement cruiser was a trip I took with my brother-in-law to Block Island a few years ago aboard his 36' Grand Banks trawler. 5 hours at 10 knots and I have to say I had one of the best times - and it wasn't the beer talking (I had none at the helm) but the fact that the pace was so relaxing! I got to look around, alot, and see the sights, watch the sunset behind me, watch for buoys that I'd be upon in a minute or two (not seconds). Ahhh.....

Would I trade my Albin For Rob's? Go ahead Rob, twist my arm! I'd love to! but I'm happy where I'm at and the speed suits me just fine for now.

Good luck with your's CaptVic!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I'm with you hetek, I often enjoy my Albin at hull speed. Last year I ran from Montauk to Mystic that way. Got out of the Montauk jetties, set the AP for the west side of FI and never bothered to get on plane. Great ride, super relaxing. As it's been said before, the joy is in the journey not the destination. I have some friends with go-fast boats and as time goes on I like them less and less...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Capt Vic: You are certainly gettng a lot of interest in the project boat. Personally, I know it can be fun. Although my Albin has required some considerable upgrade this past winter: webasto heat, next gen set, and a radar. Otherwise a great boat. Yes, fast but the down side is finding funds to fuel.

I did a project boat on my last one a 290 Luhrs twin 140 yanmar diesel. More problems that I can describle. The now new owner is doing great with it as most everything got done in my nearly 3 year project. It is and will be for a you a great learning experience.

Enjoy & Congra's.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
Anacortes, Wa.
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Thanks,
The nice part is that it's located at my home. Otherwise I would not have attemped the fix up. Taking things a little at a time. If I look at the project as a whole I get a bad headacke. I have to start in one area and move forward. First I have to rebuild the aft deck where the cabin once was then move on to the engine and mechanics before getting into cosmetics. I'm in no hurry.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

No schedule is the best schedule..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)