• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Odd hot water behavior

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Odd hot water behavior

Post by DougSea »

I'm having a strange problem with my hot water and thought I'd throw the problem out there, see if this has happened to any of you and how you fixed it.

I spent the night on the hook Saturday and when I went to shower on Sunday I had alternating warm/cold water. I was only using the "hot" side of the shower valve so it's not a "mixing" issue. The periods of warm water corresponded to when the fresh water pump was running. When it stopped the water would go back to cold.

This is an all new behavior. My thoughts are to double check my connections to the water heater and the check valve. I did disconnect it when I winterized it but I'm fairly certain I hooked it back up correctly. Honestly, I can't think of why this is happening! :?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Odd hot water behavior

Post by jleonard »

There should/might be a check valve on the water heater inlet. Maybe that is sticking open?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

It could be pulling cold water that is stagnant in another faucet's hot water feed that is "T"'d off the hot water outlet side of the water heater before the connection to the shower you are using. Such as a transom shower, cockpit sink, etc. If another hot faucet is not turned on the water in the hot line leading to it would be cold and if it reverse flows you'll feel it. Try opening all hot water faucets until the cold "stagnant" water is all out and you get hot flow from all faucets. Then use the shower and see if the cold spurts are gone.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Some Residential heaters have an internal tube that adds the cold water away from the hot out fitting to aid in mixing. I think it's called a dip tube. I know of one case where it broke off and the symptoms were similar to yours. I'm not sure if all heaters have them but it might be worth looking at an exploded parts view to see. Good luck !
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Yes, good point, the the long dip tube allows the cold water to be added at the bottom of a water heater tank and the hot water pickup tube is short, thus pulling the water from the top. I just checked the manual for my Seaward heater for a dip tube. No tube shown, the cold supply simply dumps in at the threaded fitting. Doug, what make/model heater do you have?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”