• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member in Michigan, future 25 owner

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Alaskaflyer331
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Mott Island, Michigan

New member in Michigan, future 25 owner

Post by Alaskaflyer331 »

Greetings,

I've been researching 25s for a while and we travel tomorrow to see a '76 Deluxe that has been repowered with a Yanmar 30 and had previously been rigged as a motorsailer - though not operated under sail for a while. Pics seem to show basics in excellent shape but interior woodwork needing, well, 'freshening' as the seller says. Seller also says the keel and draft is about eight inches deeper than standard. I understand that all these later models had identical hulls regardless if they were rigged for sail or not, so if true this must have been an owner modification at some point in her past. The head has been removed in favor of the typical plastic marine portapotty and a hardtop added over the open deck behind the cockpit which looks professionally done from what I can tell from the photos.

If she becomes ours she'll be based on Mott Island at Isle Royale on Lake Superior, as that is where we live and work summers. She'll join our little family fleet of sea kayaks and skiffs. I've been boating all my life but have done very little sailing so rigging her with sails is intriguing.

Advice is appreciated. I hadn't been considering a project but the combination of price, proximity and (hopefully) solid bones makes this a good prospect and the cosmetics can be done at my leisure.
Good day,

Richard
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: New member in Michigan, future 25 owner

Post by jcollins »

Richard,
Welcome to AOG and good luck. Perhaps someone with more experience than I will jump in here and discuss the reason for adding depth to the keel.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: New member in Michigan, future 25 owner

Post by loubennett »

Assuming the keel was modified it was likely done to add lateral resistance and maybe some additional ballast. Both of these, if done properly, would improve the sailing characteristics especially on a beat.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis

Return to “New Member Introductions”