• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

OOOPSran the Genny Dry

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

OOOPSran the Genny Dry

Post by zinbaad »

OOPs I guess I forgot to open up the thru hulls for cooling water this season. Popped some beans in the coffee maker, started up the Generator and before the coffee finished the Gen conked out. After checking the Gen I realized the seacock was closed and Gen shut down to avoid overheating..My guess is I will have to open up and change the impeller and maybe clean out the cooler. Westerbeke, any tips?
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: OOOPSran the Genny Dry

Post by DougSea »

Don't start the generator without opening the seacock.

That's a fine tip!

Funny, I did the exact same thing. Fortunately realized it just a few seconds in and shut it down. Mine (Onan) has a "low flow" shutdown and might have shutdown prior to real damage to the impeller. How long was it running prior to shutdown? It (the impeller) may still be in one piece. The other possible "good" news is that with no water flowing through it the pieces of a torn impeller wouldn't have had any way to travel to the heat exchanger and should be in or near the pump.

So, take the cover off the pump and cross your fingers.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Funny, I did the exact same thing.
Must be the season for not-opening-seacocks. Glad I'm not alone. :oops:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Did the same 2 years ago on a Crusader.....bits were in the hose leading to the HE. The pump on my Westerbeke on a classic 40 is a contortionist delight to reach, hopefully easier on your boat. Make sure you can account for all the missing pieces (if any). Otherwise you should be fine, that's a robust engine and the over-temp shutoff is a godsend. Agree the pieces would't have gone too far without water.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I think there are two kinds of boaters....those who have forgotten once (or twice) to open their seacocks.....and those who lie about it. :lol:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:I think there are two kinds of boaters....those who have forgotten once (or twice) to open their seacocks.....and those who lie about it. :lol:
Exactly - just like running aground!

Actually I have never forgotten to open the engine seacock but I forgot to close it once, and was trying to fill the strainer with pink stuff but it was just making a big pink puddle in the parking lot.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I actually closed my engine seacock prior to starting for the first time last week. Brain cramp thinking I had closed it in the fall and was now opening it. Didn't see water coming out the exhaust @ 30secs, so thought oh-oh! Immediate shutdown, rethinking the position of the valve took 5 secs and all was good. Could have a bit of impeller somewhere, but today we ran at 170 for several hrs @ 1700 rpm. I'll inspect the impeller first chance, hope it's in one piece.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “Albin Maintenance”