• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vetus Bow Thruster Lubrication

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vetus Bow Thruster Lubrication

Post by Froggy »

Somehow I've spaced on checking the oil in the Vetus bowthruster in my 93 Albin 28 TE. The model of the thruster is a 2312. It appears that you have to remove the motor to get to the oil access plug. I undid the three metric hex cap bolts holding the motor but the motor doesn't seem to want to budge. Before I give it a rap with a lead hammer to loosen it, I thought I'd check the forum to see if anyone else has checked their oil and how they got to it.

Thanks.

Carl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jointventure
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Montauk , Long Island, NY

Re: Vetus Bow Thruster Lubrication

Post by jointventure »

My thruster has a plastic oil resevoir with min/max markings connected via a small tube. I check the level at the begining of the season and top off with gear lube #90 (mfg's instruction). The oil is in the prop housing in the hull tube - I don't believe that there is any oil in the motor housing.
John
Joint Venture
31TE 2000
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Hi John,

Thanks but on the 28 TE the tunnel is really small and there is not obvious place to check the oil in the tunnel. The instruction manual appears to show access from above which I take to be under the motor but am not sure.

Carl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

The manual (from your picture) also says it's lubricated "for life". Which would make sense if it's so hard to get to. Is there anything, besides just being thorough, that has you wanting to check it? Making noise? Sings of leaking?

Just wondering.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Hi Doug,

Doesn't seem to be leaking but while it says lubricated "for life" I figured it was prudent to check while the boat was still on the hard and the manual does show the ability to check it (just doesn't explain how to do so very clearly)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Well, I wouldn't hit it too hard, but a good rap with a hammer should loosen it up. I'm guessing it's been connected for almost 20years and doesn't want to let go!

Good luck and post your results!
Doug
Sonny IV
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jointventure wrote:My thruster has a plastic oil resevoir with min/max markings connected via a small tube. I check the level at the begining of the season and top off with gear lube #90 (mfg's instruction). The oil is in the prop housing in the hull tube - I don't believe that there is any oil in the motor housing.
Just to add info here, here is the external reservoir referenced by John
Gear Oil Reservoir.jpg
Carl,
Do you have any sign of losing fluid from the gear housing? When I first took ownership of TOY-RIFIC it was easy to see that the shaft seal on the lower unit was in need of replacement.
IMG_0806.JPG
Here's a cleaner shot, the two allen screws allow removal of the face plate exposing the shaft seal. I replaced that, flushed and replaced the gear fluid and all has been well since.
2011-04-06_18-02-12_453.jpg
So my point it, check the seal, if it shows no leakage of fluid around the shaft you "should" be good, unless it's all leaked out already :shock:

And if you've already launched for the season, oh well, there's always next year. But you can still remove and measure the brushes to make sure they are within spec :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the pics and the info. The lower seal is fine. My 2312 (vintage 1992+/-) doesn't have the reservoir set up that you have. That's why it appears that I have to remove the motor to get to the oil access. I'm going to check with Vetus and see.

Carl
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Froggy wrote:Hi Rob,

Thanks for the pics and the info. The lower seal is fine. My 2312 (vintage 1992+/-) doesn't have the reservoir set up that you have. That's why it appears that I have to remove the motor to get to the oil access. I'm going to check with Vetus and see.

Carl
I know not all models have the reservoir but since John mentioned it I figured I'd throw the photo up for future reference if others come across this thread. I had a parts issue a couple years back and there was a guy Dave that was super helpful. I only have him saved in my phone as "Vetus - Dave B" I think his name is Dave Barrett? 410.712.0740. He's certainly worth asking for, he supplied me with great info and supporting documents.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

I spoke with Tim at Vetus and he sent me a detailed parts drawing (most of which are not available anymore) as well as a more detailed manual. He didn't really know if the the 2312 thruster was held on by more than the three cap screws but after some detailed inspection it appeared that they were the sole hold down. I rapped the motor a few times and then pried it off with a screw driver. I found what is shown in the picture which is a lot of brush debris, and, what is not shown, is the key retaining screw which had worked itself out. All cleaned up ok. I put in some 90 wt gear oil (not so easy as there is no vent for the fill - screw is at about 2:30 in the pic), put a bunch of bronze anti-corrosion grease in there and closed her back up.

Should be good to go for the season.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Looking at your photo, the picture on the left in the manual makes sense. Just silly that in the manual they gave you a view looking at it as if you were outside the boat, as opposed to looking down at the lower unit with the motor off in the position from which you'd actually be filling it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:Looking at your photo, the picture on the left in the manual makes sense. Just silly that in the manual they gave you a view looking at it as if you were outside the boat, as opposed to looking down at the lower unit with the motor off in the position from which you'd actually be filling it.
At least the thruster is mounted vertically, it'd be even more fun with a horizontal unit! :?
Doug
Sonny IV
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:
At least the thruster is mounted vertically, it'd be even more fun with a horizontal unit! :?
Yes, I looked at that too, in the horizontal they show the fill bolt at the high side of the reservoir, so I guess it would be much like re-filling the gear oil in an outboard lower unit, with MUCH less access of course. That would most likely be a real PITA..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”