• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dripping water pump?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dripping water pump?

Post by jms02050 »

Just finished getting to know the water pump on my 6lp up close and personal. Pulled the pump from the engine, replaced the impeller, cover seal on the front and oil seal on the back. Started the engine and noticed water dripping from the area of the pump where you can see what appears to be a shaft when viewed throughout the side. The pump looked fine coming off, and I only performed the maintenance because the boat is new to me and the previous owner wasn't sure when the pump was last serviced.

Should the be any kind of leak at all from the pump?

I'm not in the position to have seen the pump running prior to my maintenance. Note that the seals are dry, it's the area in between. Hoping that the pump drips like a stuffing box, but get the feeling it should be dry. Just looking for confirmation if possible.

Thank you.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Dripping water pump?

Post by DougSea »

The water pump should not be dripping. Something's up with it. Sorry... :(
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

What you have is called a "weeping" pump. The seawater is leaking past the seal and through the bearing. The bearing is not gonna stand for saltwater exposure for too long at all. The pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It is a rebuildable pump, parts available through Yanmar. Keep the weephole clear so it continues to weep as designed and keep anything that is exposed to the seawater sprayed down with WD40, etc..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

My option the pump is toast and needs to be replaced. I just had the same problem. Weeping from the intermediate shaft area. According to my Yanmar mechanic, the weep holes are designed to allow the water to drain so it doesn't enter gear housing if mechanical seals on the impellor side fail which is what happend to me. The Yanmar parts break down shows seal parts but no numbers. I could not find the parts available. Also my Mechaninc said the labor to rebuild pump plus parts, if available and the fact that the shaft maybe wore, makes replacement more feasible. The pump list for a shocking $1000 at Yanmar. I ordered mine through bayshore marine in Maryland for $660. thanks to Rob's recommendation of them. They're great. you should also change the oil gasket between the pump and housing, ($3?). It's a 30 minute do it yourself job. I have my original weeping 6LP Yanmar pump you can have free if you want to try the rebuild route.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Pump is off and in the hands of my mechanic. We'll see where this leads...
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

I have to do a raw water pump tomorrow and you guys have me concerned!
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

Make sure you replace the O ring when you change impeller its a separate part and does not come with impeller. I found it was easier on my 6lp to remove entire pump assembley and replace impeller and seal and seal in a comfortable position. Bob
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
jms02050
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jms02050 »

Thanks for the tips. I actually pulled the pump off the engine and replaced the impeller, the o-ring under the impeller cover plate, the rear seal o-ring, and the gasket where the hose assembly attaches to the pump. Re-installed and... drip. Mechanic is replacing bearing seal on pump. I may order a new one as a backup/plan B.
Jim S.
2003 28 TE - Full Circle
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

efishnsea wrote:Make sure you replace the O ring when you change impeller its a separate part and does not come with impeller. I found it was easier on my 6lp to remove entire pump assembley and replace impeller and seal and seal in a comfortable position. Bob
I agree on both.

The O-Ring is REF#12. (Click Images to Enlarge)
6LP-STE Seawater Pump.jpg
I guess the price has gone up considerably since I replaced mine in '08..
Raw Water Pump Invoice 2008.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Old School »

Rob - That's the same drawing I have in the manual. I guess they don't want you to rebuild the pump as there are no part #'s for bearings and seals.

I'm replacing the impeller and two orings today and I'll let the forum know how I make out.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Lube the impeller with dishwashing liquid. It will help the pump self-prime. Do look at the exhaust port and verify she's pumping upon startup. When you put the impeller in you don't have to worry about the direction of the vanes, they will adjust once she spins...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Old School »

Update - 4 hours to take the pump out because of a rusted rounded off nut on the bottom. Oh and a few ounces of blood do to a sharp dip tie.

Obviously I had a leak. Fortunately the leak appears not to have been at the seal. The impeller had taken a set and really didn't want to turn over by hand. I found a leak at the pump manifold gasket.

Bearing seems good, I'll know for sure about the seals later but with the new impeller (soaped and siliconed) the pump turns over as it should.

Install will be tomorrow and hope all goes well. It has to be better than the removal.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”