• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 te prop removal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: 28 te prop removal

Post by jleonard »

Yes you really do need to get to rated RPM otherwise you are overpropped, and that means overpropped at every rpm not just at WOT. That will eventually lead to an early demise of the powerplant.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

RobS wrote:Well the shoaling changes season to season, will see in a couple weeks what this year has to offer...
Well the shoaling was so bad west of the USCG station Moriches in the main channel between the east and west cuts they had to pull the buoys. Now you will have to head for the inlet and run the south side of bird island
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Rob, thanks for the photo tach. I am on my way to the Hamptons tomorrow and I will stop by an see Tommy. Everyone I have spoken to agrees that I am over propped

Moriches looks great for a training mission in low water navigation.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I have options. I spoke to B & S in regard that I believe I am over propped. (I never had that problem before) Not a problem, all I have to do is have the boat hauled and they will make the adjustments at no charge. My question is this, I have to pay for the haul out, which is not an issue. However, I could wait till the fall when I am laid up for the winter and bring the prop down for a pitch adjustment. Would you or should I not do anything and see if anything changes or have it done now?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Serenity wrote: However, I could wait till the fall when I am laid up for the winter and bring the prop down for a pitch adjustment. Would you or should I not do anything and see if anything changes or have it done now?
Engine life aside, the extra fuel burn your overloading will create will exceed the cost of the haul out. Do it now, hands down.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I can't believe the fuel burn difference would be that noticeable. If you had a pyrometer and monitored EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) you could easily run the season. If not then you're taking a risk.
Depending on how you run your boat would make that risk great or minimal.
That said, black smoke is one indicator that your engine is building too much heat....heat that will NOT show up via coolant temperature.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

He does not have a pyro gauge. 28ft at $8/ft is $224 for the haul. At $5.50/gallon thats 40gallons of diesel. I know he likes to push the boat high in the rpm range...

I would definitely give it a shot now. Then you can always tweak it further if needed in the off season

How accurate do you think an IR thermometer is on the exhaust bend?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Just a thought. I agree, have it done now. I have a Fluke, digital. IR thermometer. I plan to use it the next time I am out. Mack Boring says that the heat at the exhaust elbow the temp could hit 1300 + degrees. Put a flat iron plate on the elbow and I could cook eggs underway
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

How accurate do you think an IR thermometer is on the exhaust bend?
Not accurate enough as it won't read the inside temperature. Also angle of the gun is critical, and on a radius that will vary. PLUS many IR guns don't read a high enough range (mine for example only goes to 550 F).
I have a cheap digital volt etc meter that came with a thermocouple. Clamping that thermocouple to the exhaust elbow with a hose clamp would get you as close as possible from the outside.

The elbow "might" already have a pipe plug that would be set up for a temp probe. You could always remove that plug drill a hole and run the thermocouple thru it.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

When I was at the Mack Boring diesel school for dummies, they spoke about having a guage for this and a guage for that. If I was to install all of these gauges, my console would look like a space shuttle. The one guage that I think would have merit, other than SW temp, would be oil temp. I have a Fluke VOM, I will have to check it out for a thermo couple input. As I said before, I will haul out in 2 weeks to have the prop pitched correctly and have my overboard discharge thru hull replaced or valve, whichever comes first. I was trying to free it up and I broke the handle off.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”