• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A avoidable problem with the Lehman 120 starter

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Cove, Boothbay, ME

A avoidable problem with the Lehman 120 starter

Post by Captn_Dwt »

Hi Folks,

So Saturday, with a friend, Karen and I drove the hour to the boat yard to bring Hearts Ease home for the summer. Mind you, we've run her, test-trialed her, and on and on. We arrive, prep for departure, and ... no start. Lots of clicks but no start. Much testing later reveals a design flaw in the Lucas starters for these engines.
(1) From the main soleniod to the starter, the connection is a short, twisted solid copper strap, about 1/8" thick, with elongated holes. This should be braid, not solid copper, so that thermal expansion will not cause the strap to loosen. The enlongated holes enable the strap to be removed without removing the soleniod...but they also allow the strap to try and move under the nuts and washers. I did alternator and starter rebuilding for about a year back in the 80's, and I can say with experience that Delco would never do this "solid strap" stuff...it would be braid.
(2) The strap's connection to the starter is almost on the bottom of the housing...you can't see it without a mirror. It is, by design, going to loosen up. Once loose, it will begin to arc.
(3) onced arced badly enough, it will cause failure. In my instance, the very stud comming out of the housing is so badly damaged that I'm going to replace the entire 2 year old starter. (Hey, it's the beginning of the season and I ain't waiting weeks for a copper bolt that no one carries but the rebuilding companies).

So, Maintenance to the rescue. I recommend that every year, remove the starter so you can see the stud and it's small, thin nut. Take it apart, check for arcing, clean it up, and re-assemble and torque. that should do it, and should allow the starter to "wear out" instead of fail.

OBTW...lots of starters out there .... from India...?? I'm buying one as a spare...I'll let ya'll know what it looks like.

OBTW-2...(1) If your main soleniod seems to stop passing current to the starter, give it several tries in rapid succession. The contact inside is a disc, and it's supposed to turn a little with every actuation. these rapid tries might move the disc to a spot where it makes contact again. (2) If you're stuck, and this seams to be the problem, take that solenoid apart! That contact disc can be "turned over" revealing a like-new surface. yea, the other contacts (studs) will perhaps not have lots left to work with, but you can file them a bit and get it working again. You will ruin the weather-seal on the soleniod by doing this, but who cares...you're stuck, right?

/Best wishes for a great summer on the water!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: A avoidable problem with the Lehman 120 starter

Post by jleonard »

My exhaust manifold is off right now so I'll take a good look at my starter next time I'm at the boat and report what I see.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Captn_Dwt »

Quick Update:
No new or rebuilt starter was available in the Portland ME area today. I removed the offending unit and did a major clean-up. Found some interesting issues:
1) The power stud is copper, as is the nut.
2) The washers were steel ! And, the lower washer that rests against the first nut by the starter housing was litterally welded to that nut. Ain't going no where.
3) The stud was not loose (if it was, it would be game-over because the stud is not servicable with the welded nut on it), and checking inside the starter by just opening the case a tense revealed no burned smell.
So, I cleaned up the lower washer with a file, cleaned the stud's threads, installed a new copper top washer and a clean cable-end and clean top-nut... and ... voila... it works just fine!
My brand new starter (made in India) is on it's way.

Wednesday we'll bring her home!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

There is or was a guy in New London, Ct who advertises on ebay he has new and rebuilt Lehman starters.
Something to keep in mind.

On the spare starter, are you planning on keeping it aboard? If so, how do you plan on keeping it from corrosion? I ask because I know a guy who kept a spare alternator. He never needed it but when he went to check it after a few years it was a friggin ball of rust.
I have kept items sprayed with WD40, wrapped in VCI paper, and then in a baggie and they still rusted.
Marine environemnt sucks.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:I have kept items sprayed with WD40, wrapped in VCI paper, and then in a baggie and they still rusted.
What about a home vacuum sealer? Haven't tried it, just a thought..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

RobS wrote:
jleonard wrote:I have kept items sprayed with WD40, wrapped in VCI paper, and then in a baggie and they still rusted.
What about a home vacuum sealer? Haven't tried it, just a thought..
I now have one of those and it would be worth doing IMO.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Captn_Dwt »

Update, 4/20/2012
Hearts Ease is home! Finally!
1) New starter, from eBay seller Budda, appears to be the real thing. It is definitely New (not a rebuilt), and appears well made to detail. This guy works out of New London Ct. He shipped w/in 24 hrs of my order, and was pleasant to work with. Price was $170 + 24 shipping. Good for a new unit in my experience.
2) How to store it aboard and not loose it to rust? The only system I know of is oil-spray of any corrosion inhibitor of your choice (but not WD40, which evaporates too quick), and bagged it air-tight. If there's air movement, something will corrode.
3) Tidbits:
a) Tach was slow to respond when the engine was started. Cause was a loose alternator belt.
b) I had a full injector service performed. they installed new tips. The difference is HUGE...it's soo much smoother!

So, there we go. Now comes the much-needed rain for NE.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”