• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tranny question

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Tranny question

Post by sweetwater »

The prop shaft in my 315yanmar powered 28 turns while the boat is running and in neutral. It turns fast enough to slowly move the boat. My mechanic tried to adjust the linkage and feels it is the clutches or something internal. Do your shafts spin in neutral? Also how much play should there be in the cutlass bearing? Looks to me like MORE $$
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Tranny question

Post by RobS »

Is this something new? Last year all was well? Warped clutches - was the tranny ever over-heated? I'm sure you have checked that the fluid is clear red, not dark? It "could" go away as she warms up, does it? Was it only after the boat was laid up? You can call Paul over at LI Marine Tranny's in Deer Park - 242-5757 for some good info, but he might tell you to bring it in.. No play in cutlass bearing, it has the linear grooves for water cooling.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I once had a Chriscraft single screw that would turn in neutral. It would move the boat in it's slip when I started it. When I hauled it I found a very worn cutlass bearing. New bearing and the problem disapperaed.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

Thanks for the replies...Im not sure how to proceed. There is definately play in the cutlass bearing so it needs replacement.. But tranny has me wondering.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”