• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member looking for a 28TE

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Medford, MA

New Member looking for a 28TE

Post by tshug »

Hello All,

I'm a new member from the Boston area and I am currently looking at a 2003 28TE with an engine box. My experience has been with single ob's and have never owned or operated a boat with an inboard. The Albin is being stored inside and I won't be able to sea trial it until the end of the month. In looking at some of the posts here about docking it appears that with the 28TE it can be a little tricky and takes some experience in getting the hang of it.

In one of the posts, on how to dock your Albin, it mentions once you get lined up with your slip to turn the helm to port and leave it there and use the throttle back and forth until you are docked. From what I've read when going in stern first with the prop walk to starboard wouldn't having the helm to port when using forward throttle take the bow further off line? I'm hoping during the sea trial to get a feel for what it will be like if we purchase it.

One other question, the 28TE has a Yanmar with only 400 hours on it and has been well maintained. The timing belt has never been replaced though. Any thoughts as to when one should be replaced based on hours and age of belt?

Hoping to be a new Albin owner soon!
2004 28TE "Evening Star"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: New Member looking for a 28TE

Post by RobS »

tshug wrote:...wouldn't having the helm to port when using forward throttle take the bow further off line?
That's the intent, so the fwd thrust continues the CCW rotation of the boat, for when you want it to spin, like a twin screw.
tshug wrote:Any thoughts as to when one should be replaced based on hours and age of belt?
The book says 5yrs/1,250hrs, most mechanics would say it's based on the engine hours, the yrs are not the deciding factor. But 10yrs, twice the recommended service life, it might be time..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
tshug
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Medford, MA

Re: New Member looking for a 28TE

Post by tshug »

Thanks for the info Rob. This is a great site with plenty of info for Albin owners and soon to be owners.

Ted
2004 28TE "Evening Star"

Return to “New Member Introductions”