• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE refrigerator - DC only or AC/DC

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

28 TE refrigerator - DC only or AC/DC

Post by Nancy »

We'll need to replace the original fridge (Norcold DC340D) on our soon-to-be 28 TE. We've been weighing DC only versus dual voltage.

The dual voltage school of thought says that using AC while at the dock takes the wear/usage/load off the battery system.

The DC only crowd, including my husband's buddy, Nigel Calder, says this configuration is no-brainer simple for boats that spend much of the time plugged into AC at the dock with the battery charger running. The logic is that as long as the batteries are in good condition, it's no wear on them at all because the charger is doing the work, and that's what it's designed to do.

(Just kidding about the friend thing. We joke about it because he's spent so many hours reading and re-reading the Calder book.)

Reading a few threads here suggests that most people are replacing the original DC only units with AC/DC. Would love to understand your decision process.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 28 TE refrigerator - DC only or AC/DC

Post by Froggy »

Hi Nancy,

I'm considering replacing my Norcold also. I'm looking at a NovaKool. The bottom line on this is pretty simple for me. I've owned the boat for 14 years and never had an issue with a 12v only system. The additional cost of the 110/12 V model is $140. Better to save the $$ and have a nice dinner out.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”