• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dismantling Yanmar 315/Albin 28 Flush Deck

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

lawrento
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

Dismantling Yanmar 315/Albin 28 Flush Deck

Post by lawrento »

Hello AlbinOwners,
Wish to learn from your experiences ...
My Yanmar 315 developed a small engine oil leakage near the raw water pump impeller assembly area probably due to salt water corrosion.
My Mechanic feedback that working space is too confine .... I suggest to lift out the Yanmar 315 and do a detail check for other possible leaks.
My question, how to lift out the Yanmar 315, do we need to remove any parts, beside the ZF drive ? Any other points need to take note ?
Your advice will be appreciated.
Cheers !
Lawrento.
Sea Story
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Terra Ceia Bay, Fl

Re: Dismantling Yanmar 315/Albin 28 Flush Deck

Post by Sea Story »

Hi Lawrento - I am not familiar with the mounting of the Yanmar in the Flush Deck, but we had to replace the oil pan on our Yanmar 315 in our 1993 28 TE. Check back to my posting 2/19/12, titled 28 TE 6LPA-STP Yanmar Oil Pan Replacement.

I disconnected everything except the engine mounts and the transmission bolts to reduce mechanic time, so they were able to disconnect, hoist out the engine, replace the oil pan and reinstall it at my boat lift in one day turnaround. Then I did the reassembly and other service. My only regret was that I did not plan to replace the leaking PSS while the engine was removed. Good luck with your service. - Howard
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Same here, I easily r&r'd my 6LP and tranny as one unit but I cannot speak for a FD boat..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
lawrento
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

Post by lawrento »

Hello AlbinOwners,
Thanks for sharing your valuable experiences.
My Mechanic decided to open up a Hole (8ins x 11.5ins) near the staircase area, after confirming no other areas is leaking ... something like a appendixitis surgical operation.
Will begin operation today .... bless me Luck !
Cheers !
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

My Flush Deck has an access panel located behind the steps. Might want to turn that cut out into a removable door for future issues. Does yours not have this door? There is also an access panel along the qtr berth that I use to get to the raw water pump. Working through that hole is certainly a pita. Wish you luck!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Carl wrote:My Flush Deck has an access panel located behind the steps. Might want to turn that cut out into a removable door for future issues. Does yours not have this door? There is also an access panel along the qtr berth that I use to get to the raw water pump. Working through that hole is certainly a pita. Wish you luck!
This pic is from an '07 FD that I had looked at. I assume these are the engine access panels on the left?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Yes thats 2 of them, but just to the left side of your pic is the steps. Behind the steps there is another access panel that is about 10X14. The panels shown above are where you access the 10micron fuel filter, oil filter, raw water pump, and a couple of zincs. Lots of fun laying on your side and reaching in to replace these parts, but it is doable.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”