• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member in the frozen north

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

New member in the frozen north

Post by jetter »

Hello All

I'm currently seeking a 28TE for spring thaw.To be moored in Georgian Bay which has some of the best cruising and hardest rocks anywhere.

I have owned three sailboats and two power but spent the last seventeen years raising a family so had to be satisfied with being crew and the occasional Caribbean charter.

A friend that has owned an Albin 28, 31 and 35TE has a preference for the 28TE with engine box. He suggested that it would handle better at low speed (docking) and had a better bow up attitude at cruise. Does anyone have comment on this.

Cheers
Russell
Russell
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: New member in the frozen north

Post by jcollins »

Hi Russell,
Welcome to AOG. I have only owned the 28 and love it. Your friend obviously has more experience than most since he has owned all 3 models. You should try to seatrial all three models if you can.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Russel: This is interesting. My 2006 35TE Sportfisher Conv. came from Georgian Bay this past summer.
The former owner had owned all three 28, 31, & 35. That has to be very rare. The boat has low hours and is in excellent condition. The agent that handled my deal was Jack Pady of Jack Pady Marine.
It was in Collingwood when I first saw the boat. Hinson Marine originally sold it to Charley who went out with us in the original trial of the boat. Nice man and took care of the boat like a fine watch. The 28 will be fine with a thruster as would the others. I like the twin in the 31 and 35. You will be really happy with the 31 which is a great compromise in size.

Welcome to AOG. I must say the Georgian Bay looked to be a great area for all kinds of boating, cruising and fishing.

whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv. "Nibbles"
Anacortes, Wa.
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jetter »

Hello Howard
We are talking about the same Albin owner. You have a wonderful boat. I always admired Nibbles.
Russell
Russell
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Hi Russel: Good luck in your search. My neighbor at Anacortes Marina has the 31 with twin Yanmar's. They love the boat. I liked Charley a lot. Very nice man and has been helpful with Nibbles.

Please stay in touch. If you have any plans to travel to the NW let me know. I will be happy to take you out as a friend of Charley. and Nibbles admirer. What a small world. This Albin Group is a wonderful contact place of owners and boaters of common interests. Please do say Hello to Charley for me.

You can contact me on the private message center for my email and contact info. Georgian Bay impressed me so much i gave some thought to leaving the boat there and flying back. Of course that was impractical but what a great place - and fresh water is very special.

whwells "Howard"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Russell Hello Again: Just wondering if you have reviewed J. Collins recent Pro & Con review of the 28" Albin Flush v Fish Tank Models. That discussion is under the 26'-35 Tourament discussion section. Don't know if Charley's 28' had the Center Fish Model? One consideration is the Direct Drive v the V Drive.

Some at least seem to feel the V Drive may not be as long lasting as the direct drive. I had a previous 27' Whaler with twin 350 Mer. Cruiser with V. Drives and it was never a problem for me. However, I do recall the local commercial fisherman stayed away from the V drive going for the Direct drive as better for them.
whwells "Howard"
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jetter »

Mission complete. I am now owner of 2001 28 TE. Cummins 370B with solid aft bulkhead. It spent its youth on the Ohio River. I'm having it trucked to Ontario next week for installation of new Furuno Chart-potter, Radar and Auto Pilot. The way the weather is warming here I'm hoping for an early season :D
Russell
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

Best of luck with your new Baby post some pics.
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I have a 2000 28TE and have all Furuno gear (vx2 network) with their 511 AP and love it.

BTW, what do you mean by solid aft bulkhead?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jetter »

Hi Rob. Solid Aft Enclosure. (Sliding Door) Sorry ...not a bulkhead. I'm doing a helm rebuild. Cummins gauges and warning lights to overhead box. MFD 12 Display, AP 711 and Tri Data on Helm Station.
Russell
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jetter wrote:Hi Rob. Solid Aft Enclosure. (Sliding Door) Sorry ...not a bulkhead. I'm doing a helm rebuild. Cummins gauges and warning lights to overhead box. MFD 12 Display, AP 711 and Tri Data on Helm Station.
Thanks for clearing that up, you had me stumped.

Fun project. Be sure to post some pictures. Finished mine last month:
Furuno 10.4"
Aetna Digital Tach
VDO Gauges
NavPilot 511
Yanmar Warning Light Panel
Bilge Pump LED's

ka-ching ka-ching & fun fun!
new dash.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

JETTER: CONGRA'S on your new fine. Wish you lots of happy boating on the wonderful Georgian Bay.
Say hello to our mutual friend Charley if you see him. Happy Fishing this season.

Have just completed a Webasto diesel heat system and a Next Gen set 3.5 on Nibbles. Hopefully, I am done spending monies for a long while.

New electronics for your boat is always a great way to go.

whwells 'Howard"

Return to “New Member Introductions”