• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Head

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Ray Morley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Head

Post by Ray Morley »

I am thinking of installing an "electric head" I can't stand being required to step down to the head to show the ladies how to pump and flush. Any one got any experience with this idea.

Ray Morley

TE 28 Sea Inn
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Head

Post by jleonard »

What do you have now? Some can be easily converted to electric.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Ray Morley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ray Morley »

Sorry I have a 2001 TE 28. Great boat lousy flusher
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Sorry I meant what brand/model head.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Probably the Jabsco unit. Here is link to the conversion kit. It's also on Amazon for $287.
http://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/marine ... olt-dc.htm

Or for a cheaper and easier solution....
commode_bucket.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

We have the same boat, which is not heavily used, but the head has been the worst. The hand pump column fractured and I replaced it. Then again, this time with the electric retrofit, two years later rebuilt it, two years later, replaced it, last year rebuilt it. Again this get minimum use. The fundamental problem (aside from people not using it correctly) is that the cylinder is a vertical column design with stress being placed on the base when used. Thin paper gaskets don't help either.

Last time around I inquired of this forum as to whether anyone had done a total replacement into the same space but did not get an answer. That would appear to be the best solution. I've had the recirculating type (40 years ago) and it was fine, the vacuum type on a two head system where the bellows on the vacuum pump would get clogged and I did not think much of that, but it was an earlier system (80's).
Don
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Don,

Here is a prior post on this we both commented on viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1840&p=10967&hilit=head#p10967

I installed that cheapo Jabsco unit back then and and it has worked flawlessly for 3 1/2 seasons. It gets plenty of use as my normal crew includes 3 ladies plus the occasional non-boating guests and we certainly spend our share of nights aboard with many on the hook.

However, I do now notice some pink stuff (aka antifreeze) around the base so there is a leak of some sort, maybe it has a crack now, I will check it out soon. If it's gotta go, oh well, for what it costs and the time it served I cannot complain..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”