• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bow thruster prop

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

bow thruster prop

Post by saltshaker28 »

I just got a new bow thruster prop made by Vetus and I would like to know how to paint it I am not sure because it is made of plastic?
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: bow thruster prop

Post by Carl »

I just scuffed mine up with some sand paper, wiped it off with solvent and used a spray can of Trilux 33. I put about 4 or 5 coats on it and it seemed to last OK. The next year I didnt put as many coats and it had some growth at the end of the year. Be sure to tape off the back where the shear pin sits. In the summer be sure to run it in both directions, even while siting in the slip. I got to where I did not use mine much and then it really seemed to start building up with growth. Now I hit it everytime I visit the boat just to blow off the slime.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

The prop on our Vetus 23kgf was entirely crudded up with years' worth of bottom paint, which was certainly not helping the slipstream over the blades, or the tip clearance in the tube. I chipped and scraped all the paint off - which left a slightly roughened surface - and just left it "bright". The plastic is slick enough not much adheres to it anyway. No trouble in four years.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Joe .Baar I see you come from WA how are the barnicles in Wa
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

When I changed my 3 blade out for the new 6 blade I spoke to the Vetus rep about whether or not to paint the prop. I was told that its slick plastic finish would prohibit growth. That was not the case. Being a diver, I dealt with it with periodic cleanings throughout the season. However, last year I scuffed it up and sprayed it with a few coats of Petit Transducer Paint 1793 and it fared well.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Thanks Rob I will try that because we both come from NY
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

It was when I had her hauled for Irene that I painted the prop. She re-launched Sept 5th. and then got pulled out for the end of season Nov 6th. Pulled early in 2011 due to extreme work load. Here is what she looked like when pulled after the 2 months. This was after the yard pressure washed it but there are no signed of barnacles starting to grow. Unfortunately this was only a 2 month period so not a true test as this year will be..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

Hey Rob is that a zinc that I am looking at in the bottom pic
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Under the gear housing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Saltshaker,
Our boat is docked at a large marina about one mile upriver from the mouth of the Snohomish in Everett, WA. The water there is tidal but there's usually a layer of fresh water on top. I think this is known as "brackish". It was pretty opaque and brown 2 weeks ago during the annual spring floods. The last time I hauled the boat was in October 2010 and my diver found no barnacles in June 2011.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “Albin Maintenance”