• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31' TE in Gig Harbor, WA

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
JDowns
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gig Harbor

31' TE in Gig Harbor, WA

Post by JDowns »

Hello All,

We finally closed on a 31' TE, that we will be mooring at our office here in Gig Harbor, WA. We love the boat so far, but it was a little odd to see the boat has changed hands many times in the last few years, but everything surveyed well, and the sea trials went very well.

This boat was primarily purchased to be a work boat for our company doing shoreline assessments and supporting scientific divers for various marine projects around Puget Sound (our company does natural resource assessments, environmental planning and permitting, and monitoring for anything with an aquatic component), but it will definitely be enjoyed on the weekends as well.

I'm curious if there are any active members in the area.

Jeremy
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: 31' TE in Gig Harbor, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Jeremy,
We were at Arabella's Landing last September 10 and 11. I believe Mariner keeps his NS trawler in Gig Harbor. Nice place, but rapidly becoming urbanized, with most services up near SR16. We moor at the Port of Everett next to a gaggle of crab boats and I like the gritty atmosphere there.

Our plans next summer are more in the direction of Lake Washington, where I owe several people a ride, and possibly a trip to Anacortes. One of my ambitions is to drift Deception Pass on a full flow or ebb, with the engine at idle - just for kicks.

Good to hear an Albin is going to be in industrial service. One of my relatives is Mark Pedersen, who does the same kind of work you mention, on a global scale. I try to get him out with the family on Fathers' Day so he can catch a sand-dab or two.

Take care,
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
JDowns
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JDowns »

Joe,
I'm glad to hear someone else on here knows the Harbor. You are right about the urbanization problem. We rent space in one of the last working waterfront areas in town next to the Tides with marine related services upstairs and actual boat services down. I love it because it feels like there is something left of the real Harbor, and we can keep a working boat at our office where we need it. We definitely need supporting services if the Harbor is going to remain boater and fisherman friendly, but I fear it is only a matter of time before this building becomes a hotel or fancy retail as well.

Unfortunately, the City management and regulatory agencies don't seem too interested in keeping Gig Harbor a working harbor. Like many before, the marina down the street is getting hit with tens of thousands of dollars in unneceesry fees and regulatory work just to put in a couple of new gate shelters, so the only way for owners to cover such costs is to change the use to something more profitable. The last few weeks even our building has had architects and engineers poking around, so I fear the writing is on the wall...

The Deception Pass thing sounds cool. I played with the edge of it once in a skiff, but that was enough for me with the boat I was in at the time. It would be intersting in a more capable boat like the Albin though.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Jeremy: Welcome to AOG & congradulations on a great choice of boats in the 31TE. There are a numbers of us around the area. Hopefully this wil be the year we can all formally get together and meet one another.
My boat is at Anacortes Marina and there is another member next to me in a great 31. I repeatly tried to buy a 31 in So. Calif. at the Channel Islands but could not get the deal together. You seem to have a great occupation to be able to work around the waters during the week and play with 31TE on the weekends. Can't get much better than that. One of our members near you Dave at Bainbridge Island is working on a Rendezvous for the group this year. Several area's are under consideration including Cape Sante in Anacortes.
Although my home is in No. Cal. I plan to spend as much time as possible at the boat this summer and plan to help Dave to extent time and distance alllows.
Please drop us all a message if you are driving are boating north. We would great to meet others in our fine group. I will be at the marina this week starting Thur. afternoon through Sat. and returning early Sun.
Have been working on the installation of a Webasto heat system whiich is now done. Looking forward to tryng it out this weekend. My former boat a 290 Luhrs was at Sunset Marina in Gig Harbor for some time for sale. They did not the job done and I had it brought back to my home and sold it there. Gig Harbor is a nice area.
whwells "Howard"
35 TE Sportfisher/Conv.
2006 "Nibbles"
JDowns
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JDowns »

A member get-together up north would be cool. I would like to see other Albins and how people have fixed theirs up.

We are kicking around the idea of moving the boat up north for a few weeks to hit the San Juan's and maybe make a weekend run or two offshore for albacore this summer.

My office is in the building next door to Sunset. I think I remember the Luhrs - red canvas?
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Jeremy: Yes, the red canvas boat was my Luhrs. Really fine boat. Was surprised it did not sell there. The new owner is having a great time with it. My choice would have been to keep it in Trinidad for a local fishing boat. However, the retirement budget would not handle two boats. Things happen and will if it is a boat.

Drop a personal note and I will give you my cell & contact info in Anacortes. We have another active member with a 25 "Pat" from your area but keeps his boat just past the Desolation bridge on Widbey

Let Dave know if you are interested in the get together as he is of course trying to see how much interests is how there.

Looking forward to seeing you up north. I do have a close friend in Bremerton (Silverdale) and stop to see him and his wife on occasion.

Howard

Return to “New Member Introductions”