• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Info needed on 31 TE

Rjmycock
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cotuit, MA

Info needed on 31 TE

Post by Rjmycock »

Hi, my name is Ron Mycock and I am RicM, owner of Time after Time, favorite Cousin. RicM introduced me to his Albin a few years ago, at some point I became interested in the 31 TE and RicM introduced me to this site, he is a good Cousin. I have not posted before but have followed the forums various conversations over the past year and half . I now find myself in the process of hopefully purchasing a 31 TE and was hoping someone with practical experience with this model might have some answers to some questions I have? The boat I am interested in has twin Yanmars with a genset. I have searched the internet to see if I can find out what the estimated cruise and top end for this set up is and can not find it anywhere. The various listings for this set up are all over the place with there estimates. So my first question is what kind of reasonable cruise can I expect from these engines. The next logical question is do you have any idea of the fuel burn at cruise. I am 63 and not in as much of a hurry as I used to be so, 19 is ok, 22 is great and 25 is fast but what I would really like to know is what is the true cruise speed one can expect. Which leads to the next obvious question any idea of the fuel burn?

I think I know the positives of this model what I would really like to hear are the negatives? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have boated most of my life but only recently become inspired by these boats that remind me of little battle ships.

Thank you for your time.
Ronald Mycock
Cotuit, MA
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Info needed on 31 TE

Post by sharffj »

Have essentially the same boat - twin Yanmar 315s and a gen set. Speed and burn rate will depend of course on sea conditions, but I can give you a good idea. First off the 31 TE can handle rough water and do it comfortably.
At about 12-14 knots you get up on the plane and top speed seems to be around 25-26 knots fully loaded. We usually cruise at 15-16 knots as that is fairly effecient fuel wise (Have Floscans so can monitor the fuel consumption) however, when needed like running out to the tuna grounds will push it to 18-22 knots.
Fuel consumption when loaded (300 gallons fuel, 70 gallons water, as well as ice and gear) is about 1.25 to 1.5 mile per gallon at optimal cuising speed. If push it up to around 20 knots drops to about 1 mile per gallon, If you are in a leisurely mood and run about 7-8 knots (not on the plane) you can double your fuel efficiency.
My Yanmars are 9 years old and this winter am going to do a valve adjustment and a fuel injector service maybe that will help. Did clean the turbo last year which did not change fuel usage appreciably.

In comparison also have an Aluminum boat weight about 5000 lbs with a 130 hp Honda and a 15 hp kicker. Carries 100 gallons of fuel and loaded with ice and gear average about 2.5 miles per gallon
at best. Top speed about 25 knots.
Jeff S
Rjmycock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rjmycock »

Thank you for the information, I traveled to look and did a sea trial yesterday an will be going forward with the survey nexy week. Your information confirmed what the broker said about fuel consumption and the sea trial was right on with the speed. A couple of questions, do you find the tightness of the engine room to be anything to be concerned about for maintance? Did any of these bosts have shore water hook ups? The boat certainly seems rugged enough and handled a pretty good cop as well my guess is the handle a decent sea well?
Ronald Mycock
Cotuit, MA
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Yes the tightness of the engines can be a hassle, but I'm 6' 205 lbs and can get on either side of the engines. Things are cramped but doable. Routine maintenance isn't too bad but changing raw water impeller on port engine can be a bear.
Jeff S
Rjmycock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rjmycock »

Jeff, first I want to thank you for taking the time to answer my first inquiry, I am now more familiar with this website and realize all of my questions have been asked and answered numerous times before, I just needed to look and read and I have done that now.

The survey is to happen this week, is there anything in your experience that I should be on the look out for? I will not be at the survey, I looked at the boat last week and liked what I saw, the hull has faded some but that seems to be the life of an Albin?

Also, did these boats come with shore water hook up? I've been told the 28 TE did but the location was in some unusual locations. It would seem more logical to me that the 31 TE would have this system but neither the broke nor I could find a hook up. At present I have no idea how the shower system works but one of the things I like about the boat is the separate shower stall. Is there a sump bump that drains the shower or does it go directly overboard?

I am getting excited about the possibility owning the boat, thanks for your help.
Ronald Mycock
Cotuit, MA
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

On our 31 the shower sump is right outside of the heads door,or right below the steps.I haven't found any shore water hookup either.We have 370 Cummins and the starboard engine side is a real problem for me to get to.I'm trying to find a practical location to remount the racor filters that are on the outboard side.Then I know things will be workable.
Bob
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Dockside water was an option. If you have it, the hookup will be in the starboard step. See picture.

Be sure you have a vented loop in the shower sump discharge. Early models did not, and water could siphon into the bilge through the overboard drain and sink the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Rjmycock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rjmycock »

Thank you all for the information, the survey on the boat went reasonably well, closing is scheduled for mid February. i know i will be reaching out for information at that time so again thanks for the info and your time.
Ronald Mycock
Cotuit, MA
Rjmycock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Draft on twin engine 31

Post by Rjmycock »

I am wondering if someone knows the true draft of the 31 with twin engines. Listings for boats for sale seem to be all over the place generally going with the draft on a single engine. I saw one listing indicating 3'3", not the standard 3' 10"?
Ronald Mycock
Cotuit, MA
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Good morning,
3'10" is the draft for the single engine. Member zinbaad has the twins. You could send him a PM.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I have read that the 31 with twins draft was 3'10 so i simply round out to a 4 ft draft for safety when I have a bunch of chubbies aboard,,, worked out fine these past 3 seasons Sorry guys for being absent for a while but I sure will be out there this season
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

zinbaad wrote:...but I sure will be out there this season