• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Electrical problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

pdellis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Venice, FL

Electrical problem

Post by pdellis »

Hello to everyone. Enjoy reading all of the posts and the pics as well. We have a 2005 28TE ( Wine Down ) hailing out of Venice Fl. We are joining 9 other boats this week on a trip to Boca Grande and suddenly I have an electrical problem maybe someone can help me with . When I hook up to shore power and switch the AC main on, it will trip the circuit breaker at the dock. My friend on the other side of the dock hasn't had any problems with the same plug in , so we tried his cord on my boat and it worked . Thought all I needed was a new cord until I tried it again later and the problem was still there. Put an extension cord over to another dock with same results ( circuit breaker trips ) . Half hour later I try it again ang everything works fine. Called a marine electrician but he can't get to it for a week. We can make the three day trip fine with our dc power but it would be nice to use the microwave, etc. Can't figure out why it will work fine one minute and not the next. When it is on I can run the fridge- hot water heater- microwave- battery charger with no problem. Wonder if my 30 amp breaker on my board is bad? Would appreciate any input. Thanks, Pat
Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bodega Bay, CA

Re: Electical problem

Post by Rx-scape »

Did you drop the boat end in the water? This will happen until it is dry and the salt removed from the plug. Spray with WD40 and let dry if you did. Remove the plug from the boat, water can collect on top of the plug just 4 screws take it off and a cup of water can have collected there, along with enough salt crystals to have a short. I have drilled a hole in the plastic holder so it no longer collects water.
If not there is a short or something is not wired right. Has anything been worked on.
bulge pumps, fresh water pump, wash down, baitwell pump water heater, ect.
Rx-scape
pdellis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Venice, FL

Re: Electical problem

Post by pdellis »

Thanks for the reply Rx-scape. Found another electrician to look at it this afternoon. The previous owner installed an after market inverter and had a wire in the wrong place. You are right about the plugin. That's the first place he looked. Said 9 out of 10 times corrosion is the culprit. The receptical on the boat was after market also and the wire connections needed to be " cleaned up" a little bit. Glad he found the problem and back to normal again. Thanks again. Pat

Return to “Albin Maintenance”