• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Exhaust Temp Alarm

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Exhaust Temp Alarm

Post by Capt Paul »

I just wanted to get some opinions on this.

This weekend while I was out cruising my exhaust temperature alarm came on. I immediately brought the speed down. I couldn't turn off the engine because we were in a narrow channel and a tug pushing a large barge was approaching. I opened the hatch and saw that the raw water hose that comes from the impeller area to the engine was loose and was leaking. Pushed in it with my hand and within about a minute the alarm went off. Do you think any damage was done?? Engine temperature gauge stayed in the normal range the whole time. I checked all my hoses and clamps yesterday and took it out for a short ride. Brought it up to temperature and cruise speed for a short distance and everything looked normal

Thanks for any input.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm pretty sure everything is probably just fine. The reason you have things like the exhaust temp alarm is to give you an early warning about potentially dangerous situations just like that. You dealt with the situation quickly and most likely prevented any damage.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Paul,
I had a back pressure issue with a stopped up heat exchanger and it blew the hose off the intercooler...twice...I put it back on and made it back to port. After having the heat exchanger cleaned out, everything seems fine. Like Mariner, I wouldn't worry about it unless you see some other evidence of something wrong?
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Thanks for the input,

BTW, it came off again this week end. I am going to have my mechanic look at it. It's probably a back pressure problem like you said. I added another hose clamp for now.

Paul
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Becareful you don't rupture a hose. Apparently the pressure is great enough to do that. I had one hose swell up to about twice it's normal size.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Chief,

Yup, I was thinking about that, I will be running at reduced speed because of that, I just need to get out today with some family members to watch the Blue Angels Fly (It’s Fleet Week Out here). I don't have to run too far to see them just about 2 miles. I have my mechanic scheduled to do maintenance in the next couple of weeks and he will check it out.

Paul
creekman
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: white stone va

Re: Exhaust Temp Alarm

Post by creekman »

I ruptured the hose between the intercooler and raw water pump. I ended up with 22 inches of water in the bilge and cabin. Anyone else rupture this hose? T28, yanmar 315, 2005, Flush deck
Last edited by creekman on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

creekman wrote:I ruptured the hose between the intercooler and raw water pump. I ended up with 22 inches of water in the bilge and cabin.
That ain't good. Anything metal that salt water touched needs to be scrubbed with soap and water and dried out. If the starter, alternator, etc got wet you might as well start planning on replacing them. It is only a matter of time.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
creekman
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: white stone va

Post by creekman »

There is a long list of things to replace. We have started already. Any one have trouble with the bilge pumps not coming on? T-28 flush deck. 315 yanmar.
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

if you ran any appreciable distance, I would not be surprised if your turbo needs replacing within the year due to sucking up steamy saltwater. The waste-gate of the turbo (a pressure regulated flapper valve integral to the turbo) can also bind up due to the tiniest bit of corrosion -alsoo forcing turbo replacement..

Don't ask how I came to be so knowledgeable about such things.. :?
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”