• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

crack in starboard material

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

crack in starboard material

Post by saltshaker28 »

I have a crack on the piece of starboard that holds the draws on the starboard side of my 02 TE has anyone ever tried to glue or fix a piece of starboard the crack is where the screw holds the draws onto the fiberglass in the left hand conor
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Re: crack in starboard material

Post by Serenity »

Can you remove the broken piece and bring it to a pvc, starboard fabricator and have them make you a new piece
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

I am trying to avoid that reason being it is a small crack and has nothing to do with the stability of the vessel
C lectric
Mate
Mate
Home Port: N/A

Post by C lectric »

Starboard is high density polyethylene, loaded with colour pigment. It WILL NOT GLUE reliably.
It can be welded, hot air welded , by someone who knows what they are doing but the finish will not be the same. You will see the weld.
This stuff is tough so I'd be asking why did it crack. A sharp inside corner, such as from a saw cut without a radius, could cause that if it is working or twisting.

The material is easily worked with standard woodworking tools. Tablesaw, router, files, handsaws, etc. Just be aware that it is tough and make sure you have control of it, otherwise working it should be easy.

If you aren't prepared to do that yet, drilling a hole at the end of the crack so the crack end is gone should stop the crack from continuing. Of course what does the hole lead to??
24getaway
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: beverly

Post by 24getaway »

Post from C lectric is correct. I am a plastic fabricator. If you wish, I will be happy yo take a look at it.
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

a new peice of starboard is easy to obtain, there are many sellers on ebay and some will cut to order . If not a peice of hardwood like oak will work as a drawer slide. Available in your local lumber store. Hope this helps Bob
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

It is the 2 draws under the helmsman seat they are molded into a box wich comes out with 4 screws when I got my vacuflush fixed last year the guy that fixed it overthightend one of the screws putting the drawes back in place and one month later one of the screw holes cracked

Return to “Albin Maintenance”