• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

35 ALIBN TRANSOM ZINC PLACEMENT

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

35 ALIBN TRANSOM ZINC PLACEMENT

Post by whwells »

It was brought to my attention early in the purchase of Nibbles by one of our members to check for adequacy of the zincs. Seems that Albin factory zincs are a little short for salt water application. The boat came from fresh water so has not been a problem thus far. There were factory zincs on the rudders, & shafts only. I have added zinc's to the caviatation plates already. What the boat does not have is the large block zinc on the transom. i have put together a hardwood block for the backing as a base at the transom both for the exterior & interior. The major concern is where to safely drill 2 holes for the zinc installation through the transom below water line without damages to the core. My friend did this to his 31' Albin but wisely had it professionally installed. Using a pro makes good sense. However, that still does give one assurances that the expert will know the construction & particular lay out of the Albin transom.
QUESTION: Has anyone actually drllled the 35TE transom for zinc bolts and if so where? Is there a core issue on these boats below water line on the later models?
The boat did come with the Galvanic Isolated large green wires and box. My older Luhrs has the galvanic isolated box & wires as well as having all this tied to the large transom block. Any advise from the group on the Albin will be appreciated.
whwells "Howard"
2006 3TE Sportfisher/Conv.
"Nibbles" Anacortes, Wa.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: 35 ALIBN TRANSOM ZINC PLACEMENT

Post by joe.baar »

Howard,
You can over-zinc a boat, so don't start drilling holes until you research that a little more. You might not need another zinc. I've seen this mentioned in articles but I can't seem to find it in my standard references.

The only certain way I know to determine how much zinc you might need is to inspect the zincs, then put the boat in the water at its accustomed moorage and inspect the zincs again in 6 months. For either inspection you can use either a haulout or a trusted diver, depending how much you want to spend, and what other projects you might have lined up.

Also, since it seems as if even the larger Albins were put together more or less as one-offs notwithstanding they were erected on a factory floor, I think even a professional might have significant difficulty determining the exact construction and particular layout of your Albin transom before cutting into it. The professional's experience and knowledge allows him (or her) to adapt to whatever's there and continue to do the work correctly regardless. This includes assessing the engineering aspects of what needs to be done, such as what kinds and sizes of blocking might be necessary for this particular job.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

joe.baar: Thank you for the thoughtfu comments. I have never heard of "over zincing". Would have thought anythng for attack other than than original metal parts was good. Please do let me know if you come across the research material. I do have everything ready to go, but any drilling bellow water line scares me to death.
Still it was a surprise that boat has no transom block of zinc.
Howard
Engineer6
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Formerly Windmill Harbor, SC

Post by Engineer6 »

Here is a photo of the transom zinc on a 2000 36 ET. Not quite the same as 35 but may give you some ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Howard: As you mentioned, Nibbles came from fresh water. Do you aslo have to check that your anodes are Magnesium as that's what is usually used in fresh water (i think) or did you already change everything to zinc?
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My previous boat, an old 34 Mainship Nantucket, never had a hull zinc. Nothing ever corroded off. I was advised that unless there was a specific problem that a hull zinc would solve to leave it alone.
I took that advise. The boat was over 25 years old when I sold it, always in salt water, and everything was fine.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Yes, the shaft, cavatation plate zncs have been changed. What I don't know is why no transom zinc. The 36' transom zinc location is what I would have expected. Since I really don't want to drill new holes will hold off for a few months and see how the boat does. I am using one of the drop zincs at the transom. Thanks to all of you for the comments and advise. Maybe a wait and watch will work for a short time.
Howad
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

joe.barr: Have been thinking about your comment -you can over zinc. Never heard of that. In fact I recall sometime in the past someone said "you can't do too much zinc". I am sure you are right, but can you tell me why that is the case if you know. I am holding off - but any advise on why will be helpful.
The local marine in Anacortes recomends doing a base line test on elec. issues to the boat. Costs is about 250.00. Wondering if I should spend the money or just wait 3 months and check. The marina recomends a base line check. Anyone ever out there get such a recomendation?
Howard

Return to “Albin Maintenance”