• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar Mechanic Gig Harbor

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Yanmar Mechanic Gig Harbor

Post by whwells »

Quite the project. Sounds like you did a great job as well. Question for you joe.barr. You may know my older boat the Luhrs is at Sunset Yachets in Gig Harbor. It has twin 140 Yanmars. While they run smooth and great have never been able to get proper rpm's out of either. Missed a possbile sale recently because the prospective buyer felt the boat was not fast enough to go and chase tuna 50 miles off shore. He was probably right - although i see 7-8 knot boats out in the deep water. It will run about 18-20 mph. Should do an easy 25 plus for power and size.

So the question has to do with having it looked at in Seattle. Understand there is a first rate Yanmar shop for Wash to Alaska there. The engines should turn 3300 rpm's easy and I can get only 26 out of the starboard and 31 out of port. The boat would scream and probably sell if both would get to 3100-3300. Can you tell me who the Yanmar dealer is and how far on the water they are from Gig Harbor?
Also whether they are on the water with moorage to leave the boat for repairs or whatever? Having two boats 12-14 hours from home is driving me nuts. It has to go or come back to Trinidad, Ca.
whwells "Howard"
"Nibbles" Anacortes, Wa.
Last edited by whwells on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: Broadband Radar

Post by joe.baar »

Howard,
I believe the Yanmar dealer you're referring to is Hatton Marine at 4735 Shilshole Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98107. Their phone is 206-283-5501 and they are close to the water inside the Ballard locks. I do not know if they have their own pier in the area so you should call them to arrange that part. I'm pretty sure they also make house calls by land but you'll end up paying a lot of mileage that way - although it might be less expensive than bringing the boat to them. This past summer my trip mileage from Shilshole to Gig Harbor was 27.3 NM but I took a long dogleg to see the old homestead so the distance to Hatton Marine would be maybe a mile shorter. Hatton installs and services all kinds of engines, including gensets, for the entire Alaska fishing fleet and they were very helpful with a very small job I had for them. Take care.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

joe.baarr: Thank you for the response. Are you aware of any Certifed Yanmar Mechs near or around Gig Harbor. Engines are fine - just would like to get the top and full performance from them. Likely, I will bring it back home to Trinidad, Ca. soon. Was a mistake in thinking it would sell there. There are thousands of boats for sell in the area. No full walkarounds twin diesels at an affordable price I have seen, but lots of good boats.
Maybe, I can get a response from one of the Gig Harbors people who have had Yanmar work there. Will give Hatton a call, but my experience with house calls so far has been very expensive.
whwells "Howard"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Howard,
Gig Harbor is pretty much out of my orbit so I don't have a clue about whether there are certified Yanmar mechanics down there - for that you probably need to call Hatton.

When we visited Gig Harbor in September my strong impression was that whatever facilities remain on the water in the harbor are no longer oriented toward support of the maritime trades. The entire surrounding area is now urbanized and has lost any industrial base it ever had. Yes there are marinas and sales offices but the waterfront and town themselves are now mostly tourist venues.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

joe.barr: My impression of the area is the same. Pretty upscale and a life style I can't match. Thanks and I will call Hatton on Monday. Have the name of another Seattle based Yanmar repair shop to get some thoughts on. Really don't want to spend a bunch of money on a boat that needs to go/ or if kept down below is more than fast enough for me. Only thing it lacks is getting to the deep water for Tuna fast. Not a problem for me because our tuna are out too far for my confort level anyway.
whwells "Howard"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Yanmar Mechanic Gig Harbor

Post by jcollins »

<posts moved to create new topic> 8)
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Yanmar Mechanic Gig Harbor

Post by whwells »

John: Thanks for the new topic movement. Don't think there are any Yanmar mechs "certified " or otherwise closer than Seattle. Towing is not a good iidea at 14'10" height without a professional and permits.
So I am looking for informatkon on shops that are a reasonable distance with moorage. Hoping some of the locals get back to me on the issue. Thinking Tacoma, Wa. might be a possibility for a shop.
whwells "Howard"

Return to “General Discussion”