• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Help on pitch size for prop on Albin 36

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

anglooff

Help on pitch size for prop on Albin 36

Post by anglooff »

Hullo to you all.

A friend of mine bought an Albin 36 trawler and had a slight prop accident. He called my office leaving a message asking me to arrange to buy a new prop. he is cruising and not contactable and the only measurements I received was a LH turning 24 inch diameter prop. No pitch measurement. Would one of you be so kind as to inform me what was was the standard design pitch. I am assuming at 24inches diameter that it is a single engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Alan.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Help on pitch size for prop on Albin 36

Post by jleonard »

I don't believe there is a "standard".
What year is the boat? What brand engine? What HP? What tranny ratio?
Those are all needed to be able to take an educated guess.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Even with the info J mentions above, it's a "guess" like he says. If the pitch ends up being wrong there is a limit to how much pitch change a prop shop can do, it's between an inch or two depending on the prop so you could possible be buying him something he cannot use. And a pitch change ain't cheap so if you are buying a new prop why add that to the cost if you don't have to.

The dia, pitch and cup should all be stamped into the hub of the prop. Does he have a mask aboard? Not contactable ...in this day and age? Then what good is getting him a prop! Just kidding, but seriously, that's an expensive purchase and more info is needed. Unfortunately LH single props are tough to come by used, usually what you find is a LH & RH set from a twin screw and the twin screw would have a smaller shaft diameter than a single screw application, so no good..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

My 36 aft cabin runs very well on a 22 X15. Three blade It is a 120 Ford (L.H.) Most are tapered shaft, mine is 1 3/4 inch. I also have a four blade which is in for repair, can't remember the size, I'll get it later

Return to “Albin Maintenance”